1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What speakers for £500ish?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dan110, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Dan110

Dan110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just purchased a Toshiba 42WH18B and am going to purchase a yamaha dsp ax1 amp tomorrow. I have heard nothing but good things about the yamaha dsp ax1 but with my remaining cash can I get some decent enough speakers to do the amp justice for £500ish (recommendations please?) or should I consider a cheaper amp and put more money towards the speakers?

Thanks

Dan

2. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A rule of thumb is.
    40% on speakers
    30% on Amlifier/ prossesor
    20% on sources
    10% cables and such.
    I would either: Get the Yamaha an buy only front speakers. Save up some cash and buy the rest of the speakers later.
    Or if funds does not allow that. Get a cheaper amp and use more on speakers.
    Listen to B&W, you can't go wrong with them.
    If you want a cheaper option, listen to Mission and Paradigm.
    Good luck.

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would agree that you should stick to front speakers and save up for the rest, in the long run it will yield better sound for less money and be less hassle.

Personally i use celestion A1's as my fronts....... they are actually out and out hifi speakers but double up ver nicely...... you can find the info on the A series at http://www.celestion.com/products/celestion.htm
    They are a bit out of your range, but I happen to have a second, hardly used, pair which are no longer needed and i could easily sell you them under your budget! give me a bell if ur interested! ;)

Ad