What speakers do I pair with my AV32R DP?

maj74

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I know this thread should perhaps really go in the loudspeaker section, but I really want the opinion of fellow TAG owners who will have had to make this choice themselves.

Having just acquired my DP unit courtesy of Keith in Singapore, I have come to the decision that my speakers need an upgrade. (I alredy knew that, was just trying to put it off!)

I have for several years now, used my Acoustic Energy AE120's at the front, with my original AE109's for the rears.

Now although I will be replacing the speakers for a 5.1 setup at present, I will be obtaining an extra pair of surrounds so that I can use the system in 7.1. (I already have the spare matching power amp.)

Now obviously my system stems from watching movies, but, with several DTS audio discs (e.g. the REM re-releases) plus my now growing collection of SACD's, I am listening to a fair amout of multi-channel music.

What I want to know is, given my current system usage, what should I be looking at for surrounds? Should I be going for conventional speakers (which I am under the impression is the preferred option for multi-channel music) or for bipolars / dipolars (what ever the difference is) for a more movie orientated system.

I'm not looking to get a double setup with both types, so does the benefits of having one type outweigh the disadvantages of not having the other?

Hope someone can give me some advice from experience!

Thanks in advance.

I have direct radiators all round:thumbsup:

M&K tripoles for the rear but with some B&W FPM's direct radiating on the sides. In my case I have no space behind the main listening position so needed something that would disperse the sound without firing everything over my head. I also considered M&K column speakers which you can position behind the sofa.

I'd second the M&K tripoles for rears - delighted with the Xenon Surround 26's.
B&W 805S at the front, with (soon!) a HTM4, again which are great IMHO.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far, keep 'em coming! I must admit, I wasn't really after specific model recommendations, as I already know what level of speakers my budget will allow. What I really want to know is purely whether to go for 'direct radiators' (as they seem to be called) or bipolars / dipolars for the surround speakers.

Regards,

Martin

P.S. Out of interest, what exactly is a 'tripole' speaker?

di - for direct from the front
bi - for two directions normally one either side
and tri for three which incoporates both of the above

Tripoles work extremely well in situations where the rear speakers are placed close to the listening postion, i.e when the sofa is up against the back wall.

I have four bipoles for surround back and laterals.

For movies, I like the way sound flows around me, without much ability to locate the origin.

But again, I don't listen to multichannel music at all, only stereo.

Luis

I have 4 direct radiators and am planning to order 2 dipoles as rear surrounds. I have enough space around me to place these properly.

AV123 has some GREAT speakers for small prices. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom