What speakers are you using with your Audiolab 6000a?

paultownsend

My current system is the excellent Audiolab 6000a with Monitor Audio Silver RX1, BK XLS 200 (high level input). Digital inputs from the TV and Spotify through a Sonos ZP120. Chord Odyssey speaker cables.

I am looking to soon replace the RX1’s. Perfect condition but I imagine quite a bit has changed in 7 years. But I will audition as they sound pretty great.
So the question is, and maybe just for fun, what speakers are you running through your 6000a? I think it’s a better amp than the price suggests. #1 contender for me at the moment is the Dynaudio Emit 20, but the 4ohm load worries me a little. They are also not wife friendly in their looks....

Orobas

Speakers like Dynaudio and Revel will be too brutally revealing for the Audiolab. You'll find them quite forward on the top end.

You'll need to stick to more laid back speakers with that amp.. Focal for instance will partner well with Audiolab.

As for other partners.. B&W 606 are often partnered with them, MA Bronze 2's also.

Audiolab is owned by the tag maclaren group which own Quad, Mission, Castle and Wharfedale so they should all be fine with it due to the tinkering to make them sound nice together i would have thought.

Other than that... rega and neat worth checking out

Last edited:

paultownsend

I am not a detail freak but I like being surprised when I hear something new in music. Nor do I have the perfect listening room. The speakers are in the corner aside a 50” tv, fire one side and patio doors the other. Although a L shaped sofa lets me sit perfectly between the stereo pair. As a bonus the worst listening room in the world has laminate over a concrete base and also opens up into the dining room! A few large rugs have helped.

What I’m looking for is excitement without fatigue. Just to have fun while listening to music. I want that foot to tap and not notice when it started.

gibbsy

If you are sitting of axis a speaker with good dispersion may be best for that you could look at KEF speakers that do perform well in that department.

Costello

If you are sitting of axis a speaker with good dispersion may be best for that you could look at KEF speakers that do perform well in that department.
I had a 6000A and ran it with KEF speakers and, to my ears, they sounded very goof together. The KEFs make the most of the 6000A’s spacious soundstage.

robdmarsh

I am a big fan of Elac. I think the original debut b5 are just astounding with a very even sure-footed sound and completely defy their price point. They can sound delicate, rock out, play really well loud and have a very unfatiguing sound without any hint of a shouty treble. They have been criticised for having a lack of treble but not to my ears and I much prefer them to the 5.2 which I think tried to correct this perceived criticism in the original but failed. They have a plain Jane look to them which I really like but this might be the reason they are such fantastic value for money with all the expense going into the crossovers and drivers and little on the cabinet. They can be bought used online for £150 but if this seems like too little money to pay for a fine pair of speakers, I personally would try and hunt down a pair of the uni-fi b5 (slim) which are also Andrew Jones designed and very handsome little beasts. Oh and btw, I wouldn't worry about low sensitivity of these Elac speakers - the debut b5 are 86db and are driven very well by 50wpc. Uni-fi are 85db.
Just to add, reading your sound preferences above I think Elacs could be right up your street.

Partnered my audiolab 6000a to some small Triangle Elara LN05 towers. Also auditioned the dali opticon 6 and if space was less of an issue, the Dali's would have been at my home now. Good match.

Agree with Orobas: laid back speakers seem to suit this amp very well.

paultownsend

The two speakers I have been looking at for the past 18 months, also include but have not listened to are the Dali Oberon 5 and Monitor Audio Silver 200.

Last edited:
The two speakers I have been looking at for the past 18 months, also include but have not listened to are the Dali Oberon 5 and Monitor Audio Silver 200.
The Silver 200's are excellent speakers. They are quite bright though, i.m.h.o. Worth giving them a listen before purchase and you will probably have to set your roll off filter set to slow. (whereas with the Dali's, Focals and Triangles for example, the roll off will probably be set to fast.)

Interesting. I haven’t yet played with the filter. I set it to slow straight away.
The difference is subtle, but it's there without a doubt. On my Triangle's the slow roll adds warmth to an already warm sounding speaker. Not my cup of tea; I prefer the fast roll off with warm sounding speakers.

Naed

Novice Member
I recently (April 2020) got the 6000A to incorporate into my monitor audio silver 200 home theatre 5.1 package. The idea of using the pre power to switch into stereo listening mode is very attractive for me...due to condo living space. I am glad I came across the group since I have been thinking alot about changing to the 8300A, as I’m concerned about the min 60wpc guideline in the spec for the MA silver 200. I have an old 5 channel amp (primare A30.5) which I have been experimenting with, connecting it to the pre out on the 6000A, and using the preamp feature...sound with 120 wpc is tighter and more engaging no doubt. Problem is now I loose the link with my home theatre. So I’m wondering if the 8300A will get me that much better...does 75wpc make that much diff over 50wpc?
I really like the 6000A (paired with the 6000CDT...has me loving my CDs again over streaming) and wish I could just add a external 2 channel amp, like ETZ Edge A300 (83000or so....that would be ideal...but was really after using those Silver 200s in my HT.

Another experiment, I ran was to set up a stereo system using my rear channel speakers (MA Silver 50s) and the 6000s...sounds great...but the Silver 100s would be amazing...you just have the feeling there is more and it is close.

My advise is if you use the 6000A and Silver 200s...it sounds great...add another 100wpc and you will be extremely happy.

me?...I’m thinking...advise welcome

mrgas

Standard Member
Hi, I don't have an Audiolab but the speakers I have which are Wharfedale Linton Heritage recommend using the Audiolab amp, I know the two companies are part of the same group but I'd guess the pairing would be pretty good.
I know when the speakers first came out they were using the Audiolab at HiFi shows to demo them, there's stuff on YouTube.
Large ish standmounters may not be your thing, but they're great speakers

Naed

Novice Member
Thanks. Yes, I have seen those demos with the wharfedales. Changing speakers is not feasible...and I do like the sound of the MA Silver 200s. I have their complete set (AV12) in a 5.1 HT set up. Just finding the 6000A amp though capable not feeling completely in command of the MA Silver 200s in stereo mode. I am now thinking I should just spring for the Roksan K3 which apparently pairs very well with MAs...same group I think as well.

What do you use with the Wharfedales?

mrgas

Standard Member
Thanks. Yes, I have seen those demos with the wharfedales. Changing speakers is not feasible...and I do like the sound of the MA Silver 200s. I have their complete set (AV12) in a 5.1 HT set up. Just finding the 6000A amp though capable not feeling completely in command of the MA Silver 200s in stereo mode. I am now thinking I should just spring for the Roksan K3 which apparently pairs very well with MAs...same group I think as well.

What do you use with the Wharfedales?
Sorry for the late reply, I use a NAD C368, it works very well with the Wharfedales, really happy with this combination

Naed

Novice Member
Nice setup indeed. Hopefully you have the wharfedales on their beautiful stands. I sent back the 6000A for Arcam sa20...should arrive by this weekend.

luiscardoso88

Standard Member
Just bought an Audiolab 6000A that I’ll be using with a pair of Quad Z1s.

The soundstage is quite wide and the sound is very detailed without being harsh. The only issue is that they’re quite bass light. Either that or I’m too used to listen to a friend’s system with a Quad Vena II and a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 2s.

I deliberately bought bass light speakers because I live in an apartment (ground floor, concrete walls) but now I miss the bass. I’ve just moved in, so perhaps I’ll get used to the sound.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
Just bought an Audiolab 6000A that I’ll be using with a pair of Quad Z1s.

The soundstage is quite wide and the sound is very detailed without being harsh. The only issue is that they’re quite bass light. Either that or I’m too used to listen to a friend’s system with a Quad Vena II and a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 2s.

I deliberately bought bass light speakers because I live in an apartment (ground floor, concrete walls) but now I miss the bass. I’ve just moved in, so perhaps I’ll get used to the sound.

just recently got a quad set up ..artera solus with some Z1's...great speakers....

although i thought they sounded great on their own i've got a little bk gemini subwoofer that i was using with my yamaha av receiver so thought i'd try that

....rigged that up with the high level lead.......has really made a difference :thumbsup:

dont need to add much but it has really gave the music some thump

been worth adding in my opinion

TB Rich

Not a 6000A but I've head a few speakers on a back to back demo with an Audiolab 8300A I took down, take away comments:
  • Monitor Audio Silver 300: Flat and boring, very subdued vocals
  • KEF R5: Couldn't genuinely fault, sounds incredible
  • B&W 702S2: Edgy and bright
I bought the KEF, still blown away by them.

luiscardoso88

Standard Member
just recently got a quad set up ..artera solus with some Z1's...great speakers....

although i thought they sounded great on their own i've got a little bk gemini subwoofer that i was using with my yamaha av receiver so thought i'd try that

....rigged that up with the high level lead.......has really made a difference :thumbsup:

dont need to add much but it has really gave the music some thump

been worth adding in my opinion
I‘m considering adding a small 8” subwoofer, like a Wharfedale WH-D8 to fill the low frequencies for music. I don’t want to disrupt my neighbor.

luiscardoso88

Standard Member
I’d also like to add that I tried my Quad Z1s with both my Audiolab and the Quad Vena II in the same room and I didn’t notice much difference if any.

I just preferred the Audiolab looks, the power reserve that’s double of that in the Vena II and the fact that it doesn’t reset the volume to 0 every time it’s powered on.

GW43

Speakers like Dynaudio and Revel will be too brutally revealing for the Audiolab. You'll find them quite forward on the top end.

You'll need to stick to more laid back speakers with that amp.. Focal for instance will partner well with Audiolab.
On the other hand...

I had Dynaudio Excite X12s on an Arcam A85, and they sounded very "soft" and lacking any kind of dynamics. Changed the amp to an Audiolab 8200DQ/8200P combo (150wpc into 4 ohms) and they sounded wonderful. So goo I swapped them for Dynaudio Focus 160, and they still sound great.

I know my amp has more welly than the 6000A, but most of my listening is at relatively low volume.

mr magnolia

Novice Member
Hi all

I’m running my 6000a into the MA silver 200s together with a Cambridge Audio SC160 sub - I’ve replaced a pair of 1993 vintage RTL TDL2s so never run a subwoofer before.

I liked the sound before I added the sub but the difference with even a little baby sub has been noticeably positive. Difficult to imagine getting domestic consent for the MA silver sub but it’s made me think it’s a good aspiration. Even with just a stereo + sub setup the watching of stuff like the Marvel films has been an awesome experience.
The only thing I note is the niggly feeling that the sound could perhaps be more relaxed sounding with a more powerful amp - but what do I know? I’m just a guy who listens to music.
I’ll never get consent for an expensive power amp but I do keep looking at the cheapo Tibo PA150 as I could stick that in and just have it as a spare if it doesn’t make a positive difference.
I’ll be interested in any experiences with the Tibo kit.
cheers
Donald

Onlythesound

When I had a 6000a I drove my B&W 606s with it. V nice sonically but I eventually replaced the Audiolab with a Denon DRA 800 h for more single location connectivity. It went against my mantra but the Denon’s greater power (2x100w) and ease of use with TV, AirPlay 2 etc. won me over. For music/stereo, cd, Apple Music, Audiolab wins every time.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX 4K OLED TV Review: The best TV of 2020?

Trending threads

Latest News

TV licence fee now applies to over 75s from 1st Aug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba launches UL20 4K HDR TVs from £299
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG GX soundbar launches in UK