1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Speaker wire and component cables??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by tiberious, Dec 29, 2000.

1. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Installing a new Home Cinema - any advice on speaker wire.I`m going to need about 60 metres and have been told the GALE XL189 (99p per metre at Richer)would be good - is it worth the extra for the XL250?(1.49).

Any others more suitable ??(UP TO £2per metre)

Also ,anyone recommend good cables for connecting a pro scan dvd player. I`m told I need 75ohm Component cables - All I can find are ordinary RCA CABLES rated at 50 Ohms.

All help gratefully received !!

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Try QED Qudos micro cable £1.50/m and easy to hide.

For your video cable QEd also offer several, don't know the prices though, try Leckropacks or similar.

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'
    MiB 1997

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Try and get a simple demo if you can of some cables.
    You'd be stunned at the difference they can make to the sound.
    I would before putting it all in and not being satisfied with it.
    I know it's not easy, but the attention to detail is definately worth it.
    I bought QED Quodos and have stuck with it from years ago.
    Not the best or worst, but value for money for 40 mtrs approx. Couldn't afford much more at the time.
    Today I'd spend a much bigger portion of my budget on the cabling if I did it again!

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

4. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    I use GaleXL315 cable from Richersounds. It cost 1.99/m, and is excellent (Best Buy in HiFi Choice). It carries a lot of bass and is ideal for HC. As for the 60metres, my God Tiberious where are you putting your rears, in the garden??

5. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sok... 60m isn't that much... I'm just guessing here, but EX/ES sound needs 4 surrounds. If you have a 6X6m room (Big, but not huge), and all your rears on stands, you need about 6m for the surrounds, and 7 for the surround back. This is considering a straight line from the amp to the speakers (Very low WAF [​IMG] ). Now, if he bi-wires the fronts, that's another 4X 2.5 meters = 10. If the wife has anything to say, wires will be at least close to walls, adding another 2x6 meters in the front wall, and en extra 2 on the back wall... Can I add ? 6X2+7X2+4X2.5+2X6+2 = 50... I'm already at 50m and didn't even consider bi-wiring the backs...

This was just a guess, so, how far from the truth am I Tiberious ? [​IMG]

------------------
    An adult is just a kid with expensive toys.

Rui

P.S. Aren't Digital coax cables 75ohm ? If so, maybe 3 of those would do the trick for component... Or would they ?

[This message has been edited by Mad Max (edited 30-12-2000).]

6. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys !!

No the rears aren`t in the garden - Not a bad guess By MAD MAX !!

We are converting our loft into a Home Theatre - approx 6m square (have you been talking to my builder ??).

The system is only 5.1 , but all the cables are being run around the outside of the finished room (nice and clean !)

So - centre and 2 fronts (6m front to back, plus 2x 4m "out and in" - total 42m)

2 rears on adjustable,moveable stands - allow 5m each for flexibility = 10m

10+42 = 52 +10% for variance = 57m

Voila !!

Can`t wait !! - I`ll continue searching on the Component cables !!

Thanks guys and Happy new year !!

7. simonsez

simonsez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Tributaries Component cable with my Proscan DVD and I am very pleased: http://www.tributariescable.com/

Max is correct, you could use three 75ohm digital coax cables. If you have a Radio Shack nearby you could find some inexpensive 75ohm cable.....but for peace of mind I would just go with a quality/more expensive cable

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the fronts I use QED Original, and for the rears QED Mirco cable, I can tell the difference, and would not recommend the micro cable, whereas the QED Original is a brilliant cable, and if you can get it online you should be able to get it for less than £2.5 pm.

Luckily I went into Sevenoaks for a relitively "big" purchase, and he gave me 35 Meters of QED Micro for £20 (which isn't bad!) and £30 for 20 Meters.

I don't know much about subs, so I won't say - but for speaker cable, shell out on a bulk purchase of QED Original, you WON'T be disappointed!

Regards
    Patrick

9. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]... Nope, haven't been talking to your builder. What I have been doing is dream (and draw) a house that would really be Home Cinema friendly... And that was the Living room size I came up with.

I've been having fun with this for quite a while, using AutoCad 2000 for the sketches, but will not start building for at least 2 years. (After an engeneer checks that the whole thing won't fall like a card castle [​IMG] )

------------------
    An adult is just a kid with expensive toys.

Rui