Question What Speaker to Buy to match Denon AVR X2000?

vn6139

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first thread and first message, just wanna thank you all in advance.

I am looking to upgrade my 12 year old home cinema audio set up and regards to that i recently bought Denon AVR X2000 receiver. I am kinda noob to audio setups but i am thinking to buy Dali Lektor 2 for R,L,RS,LS speakers, for center Dali Zensor Vokal 2 and a Dali Ikon Sub Mk2 to complete the setup.
Is Ikon Sub Mk2 overkill to this setup, i'm between Ikon sub Mk2 or Dali sub E-12F.
I will be using these with HTPC, PS4 and a Epson TW6100 (HC3020) projector. I watch mainly movies and sometimes i listen music, so main event is the movies. My room is 13' x 10'.
Also i want to mount speakers to wall, often they say it kills the bass when mounted to wall.
Budget is 1-1.5k USD

Any thoughts?

PS: I live in Turkey, in regards i do not have access to all brands.
Accessible ones are; Marantz, Dali, JBL, Harman Kardon, Bose, Denon, Polk Audio, Monitor Audio, Klipsch, Focal

Regards,
Methi

I'm unfamiliar with these Dali speakers you mention but, from what I've read, I would be tempted to choose slightly better Dali speakers for front L & R and slightly lesser Dali speakers for the rear L & R. As I don't know the entire Dali range, I can't suggest specific models. Does seem a good idea to keep at least the front three speakers from the same manufacturer. The manufacturer of the sub doesn't really matter.

Is the Dali Ikon Sub Mk2 overkill? Well, the levels of bass you'll be able to achieve in that small room will be colossal but for movies, maybe you can't have too much of a good thing. I'd be more concerned with quality than quantity so maybe choose the one that sounds best (if you get a chance to listen before purchase) or the one that gets best reviews.

Have to say that, at least in the UK, the Ikon Sub Mk2 doesn't appear to be great value for money at around £700 but maybe it's cheaper in Turkey? You mention Klipsch which, I think, have bought up Jamo and the Jamo SUB 660 looks great value (available for just over £320 in the UK). Whilst ported subs are usually recommended for film use, I suspect a closed box sub might behave better in a small room - just a guess though as I've not tried this out.

I'm inclined to agree with DOGFONOS, get the Lektor Front and Center, cut back on the Sub, and get whatever Surround speakers can be accommodated by your circumstances.

If you are set on the Dali Lektor speakers, then I would do this -

FRONT = Dali Lektor 3
CENTER = Dali Lektor LCR
SIDE = Dali Zensor 1

Although, the Dali Lektor 2 would also work in the Front.

Depending on how you want to allocate you budget, I suspect the Dali IKON Sub is a bit of overkill.

The Dali Ikon Sub in the UK is about £699, that eats way too much of your budget. The newer Dali E-12F Subwoofer is £499 in the UK, and would be more than enough Sub.

Dali Ikon MkII Subwoofer for £699.00 in Speakers at Audio Affair

Dali E-12 F Subwoofer for £479.00 in Speakers at Audio Affair

The Dali E-12F is the Sub most commonly bundled with the Dali Zensor speaker packages.

The Lektor are a much older model line than the very new Zensor. Typically speaker technology filters down into newer models, so I would suspect the Zensor would be close in quality to the Lektor.

You could consider a complete 5.1 Dali Zensor 5 system, though that is going to strain your budget a bit.

Dali Zensor 5 Speaker Package (5.1) - Home Cinema Packs (5.1) - Speakers

In terms of the size of the drivers, TWO 5" drivers are about equal to a single 6.5" driver, so the floorstanding Zensor 5 are not going to overwhelm a room.

I suspect something could be put together in the new Polk Audio TSx line or in the previous TSi line. These are kind of mid-priced speakers that should fit your budget well.

Superfi - Polk TSx220 Bookshelf Speakers (Pair)

Superfi - Polk TSx330 Floorstanding Speakers (Pair)

Whether you will like the Polk Audio speakers is a matter of personal taste.

The Monitor Audio BX series are also worthy speakers. I would suggest the larger Monitor Audio BX2 in front, though the Monitor Audio BX1 should also do a good job. Generally, the more important music is, the more important larger Front speakers become.

Superfi - Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Speakers (Pair)

Superfi - Monitor Audio Bronze BX1 Speakers (Pair)

Also, Monitor Audio has the BXFX Surround speaker which can be easily mounted on the wall.

Superfi - Monitor Audio Bronze BXFX Dual Mode Surround Speakers (Pair)

I realize these links don't do you any good, but you can get a general idea of the price, see the speakers, and see the specifications of the speakers.

I suspect, any FOCAL speakers, is going to be well above your stated budget, though they are exceptionally clear speakers.

As to Klipsch, because they have a very distinctive design and sound, it is a matter of personal taste as to whether you will like them. But they are good speakers at an attractive price. I would think they would do exceptionally well for Movies.

Hope that helps lend some perspective.

Steve/bluewizard

Hey Steve,

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

If you are set on the Dali Lektor speakers, then I would do this -

FRONT = Dali Lektor 3
CENTER = Dali Lektor LCR
SIDE = Dali Zensor 1

Although, the Dali Lektor 2 would also work in the Front.

IMO and from the demos i've seen i want to set a Dali based one so your config makes sense which i'll consider.

Depending on how you want to allocate you budget, I suspect the Dali IKON Sub is a bit of overkill.

The Dali Ikon Sub in the UK is about £699, that eats way too much of your budget. The newer Dali E-12F Subwoofer is £499 in the UK, and would be more than enough Sub.

Dali Ikon MkII Subwoofer for £699.00 in Speakers at Audio Affair

Dali E-12 F Subwoofer for £479.00 in Speakers at Audio Affair

The Dali E-12F is the Sub most commonly bundled with the Dali Zensor speaker packages.

I havent heard or had demo with Ikon so my initial thought of being overkill is right. As you mentioned i will go for E-12F.

I suspect, any FOCAL speakers, is going to be well above your stated budget, though they are exceptionally clear speakers.

As to Klipsch, because they have a very distinctive design and sound, it is a matter of personal taste as to whether you will like them. But they are good speakers at an attractive price. I would think they would do exceptionally well for Movies.

As you said Klipsch and Focal seems above my available budget, so i didnt even look up my options there :)

Hope that helps lend some perspective.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences with me and i will look for some demo options E-12F sub and zensor 5 speakers. Will share if anything else pops up ;).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom