1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what speaker size?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by adox, Jan 6, 2003.

1. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have recently added a subwoofer to my system and am currently playing around with different settings to get the best sound. i am unsure what size to set the speakers to for best results for my needs. i use the setup 50/50 for hc and music. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

marantz sr4300
    pioneer dv350
    mission m73 fronts
    mission 77c1 centre
    mission m70 rears
    veldyne cht-10 sub

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With a sub as good a yours, it would normally be best to set ALL of your speakers to 'small' and set your amp's crossover to 80hz.

Then set your sub up to direct mode, crossover to max and tune the sub's volume control and phase from there.

This allows the sub to grunt out the LF stuff and should help the Missions do their job with a little more ease.

3. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice juboy. is that setup suitable for music as well?

thanks again.

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Agree with Juboy - small all round - you should find it sounds better that way - of course you can try it with the main speakers set to large and then small and see which you prefer.

You should find that your system sounds better (for music and movies) with the mains set to small because both your amp and your main speakers aren't trying to produce anything much below 80Hz.

I did this very experiment with some classy KEF Reference floorstanders (£1750) and they were being driven by a big THX power amp - even they sounded better (for music and movies) when set to "small" with an 80Hz crossover - that surprised me because those KEFs can drop pretty low.

The bottom line, IMO, is - if you have a decent sub (which you have) then let it take care of the low frequencies and let your other speakers concentrate on just the >80Hz stuff.

Matt.

5. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks matt.

6. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Wow that is what I'm going to try tonight! I have the CHT 12 Kef Q55 up front and Kef Cresta at rears. I set the Q55 to large and the cresta's to small. One the pioneer Amp vsx909 you can set the subwoofer to plus which sends the lower bass frequencies to the woofer rather than the front. One more thing I have found that works is if you set the subwoofer channel on your amp to have more db gain over the others it means you have very good control of the bass just by using the volume control on your velodyne. E.g. I have turned the gain to 5db above the rest and my Velodyne sounds sweet even at just 25% of the volume.

7. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

i have my velodyne at no more than 10% and find it about right.

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit I was surprised to see someone running +5db from the amp and using the sub at 25% volume... my amp is set to output 0db and the Velodyne never gets much passed 15% even when listening to films at near reference levels.

9. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Detached house with windows open :D but maybe I think it is about 15% just a guestimate!!

10. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im afraid my ears disagree..... maybe its my amps fault, but i find the soundstage lacking when all set to small. So fiddling is a good idea!

ad

11. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's important is to let the sub do the bass work without interference from the rest of the kit.

That's why people set the stereo speakers to 'small' to cut the bass reponse from them which can really confuse the sound stage.

The sub should be giving you a 'feel' of bass rather than window rattling sound in my view - a sub really can give subtle effects when performing well...

I have three subs in different rooms around my office/house and they are so much better than traditional 'big' speakers.

12. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I have just come back from setting all my speakers to small with the sub (CHT-12) handling all the bass.

My set up is kef q55 as fronts and kef cresta's as rears with the Velodyne.
    I noitced that the fronts were too bright IMHO so set back to Large. So current set up is large fronts, small surrounds and subwoofer on 'plus' setting (which still handles most bass).