What speaker should I get to compliment my Onkyo 674 - 7.1

Rian1988

Novice Member
Hello, I have no idea about speakers but could someone reccomend me some speakers to get that would work nicely with my Onkyo 674? Ideally it doesn't need to be OTT and extravagant, my budget is not too expensive preferebly about £300, or is that too low? I don't know!

I would like them to be 7.1 and look good.

Thanks in advance,

Jonny

Dave

Distinguished Member
TBH you're really gonna struggle to get a decent 7.1 setup with that budget and the speakers certainly won't do your amp justice.

I can highly recommend the svs 5.1/7.1 system but your looking at around 800-900 quid for that.

I'm not saying it can't be done for 300 quid but especially with 7.1 you're looking at absolute budget gear.:(

Edit:- You can always have a look around on Ebay and the for sale forum here and go for second hand if the budget can't stretch.

Dave

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately yes, to get decent stuff costs a lot more than you'd think and even the svs system is considered to be at the "budget" end of the market.

It's took me 4 years to get my sytem together simply because of the prohibitive cost of the components.

Another option for you is to get yourself a decent all in one system and upgrade in the future when funds allow, that's what I did.

It'll never be as good as seperates but 300 quid will get you a decent all in one system that you can sell on when you upgrade.:smashin:

Bee-Man

Novice Member
That's the dilemma of having one good component - if you dont match it well with the others, you might as well not have it at all....

I also highly recommend SVS package on offer at AV Forums and the Hsu Research VT-12's with a mid level sub package which are budget and in my opinion excellent value systems.

Bite the bullet and get something you will want to keep for a more than a few years to come.......

Good luck.

Rian1988

Novice Member
Ok I may decide to up my budget what would you reccomend now? Preferebly 7.1 or is that a waste and 5.1/6.1 only nessesary? It will be mainly Sky HD and Xbox 360 with some next gen DVD's.

Dave

Distinguished Member
Is there any specific reason you want 7.1 cos it seems to me that the general feeling is it's not really any better than 5.1.

A few people on here have actually gone back to 5.1 after having 7.1.

If your budget can stretch to 750 quid I can't recommend the forum power buy svs 5.1 system enough and it should go brilliantly with your amp.

If that's a step too far there are other options but I don't know enough to recommend any. I think you'll struggle to get better performance for the money than the svs though.:smashin:

Bee-Man

Novice Member
OK - so its 500 quid for the Canton and say near enough to 800 quid for the SVS.

Both, are good options and are upgradable or can be bought as 7.1

Each give great value at there respective price levels.

I would go for the SVS 5.1 myself. Because a decent sub is paramount.

Good luck.....:devil:

Rian1988

Novice Member
Bee-Man said:
OK - so its 500 quid for the Canton and say near enough to 800 quid for the SVS.

Both, are good options and are upgradable or can be bought as 7.1

Each give great value at there respective price levels.

I would go for the SVS 5.1 myself. Because a decent sub is paramount.

Good luck.....:devil:
Well, If I buy the SVS, it's going to set me back £400 then I need to buy a sub. So I think I will go with the canton powerbuy.

Top Bottom