1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what speaker setup for 6.1 EX/ES

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by djewson, Jul 26, 2002.

1. djewson

djewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, just looking for a bit of info from all you professional home cinema experts out there.
    I am currently awaiting delivery of my new Pioneer VSX-811 AV amp, which is DD/DTS, EX/ES compatible and would like a bit of help with selecting some speakers.
    I already have a Yamaha Sub.
    What is the best way to go, -
    All 6 speakers the same model (ie.3 pairs identical to retain timbre throughout)
    Buy a 5 speaker package, but what is the best to use for the rear center, do I get 1 to match the L/R rears or another center to match the front.

This is doing my head in at the moment as I am being told different things by different stores etc.
    My friend has a Mission speaker pack for his 5.1 and all his speakers are identical.
    However Richer sounds told me to go with the 5 pack and put another center at the back as all matching speakers would sound crap.
    But then again this guy told me I would need a new DVD player to get 6.1 anyway, one with a 6.1 output and he didn't even know of any on the market so he wouldn't bother with EX/ES anyway.
    I currently have a Pioneer DV-444, which serves me fine as its only about 3 months old.

Can anyone offer any advise on these matters please

Dean
    :confused:

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Hi

Matching speakers all round is a very good way to go as they will all match tonally. This means the sound won´t change as it moves from speaker to speaker.

Ignore what you´ve been told by RS as quite frankly they are talking crap. You also do not need a new dvd player to get 6.1, the amp will be doing the decoding, so your Pioneer is absolutely fine.

If it were my money I would buy 3 pairs of matching speakers and use them. What sort of budget do you have? We can then give you some ideas of what speakers to look at.:)

Cheers

3. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    > But then again this guy told me I would need a new DVD player
    > to get 6.1 anyway, one with a 6.1 output and he didn't even
    > know of any on the market so he wouldn't bother with EX/ES
    > anyway. I currently have a Pioneer DV-444, which serves me
    > fine as its only about 3 months old.

This guy should be shot and not allowed to give advice or work in an hifi shop! If your amp has 6.1 EX/ES decoder, then you don't need to change your DVD player.

Your DVD player will output the audio as raw digita data via the optical/coaxial output, it doesn't care about how many channels it is, it's up to your amp to pick up the digital data and deal with it.

I too have the Pioneer 444 player, which is hooked up to a Denon 2802 amp with 6.1, and 6.1 films come out great! :)

4. djewson

djewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the quick responses guys,
    Not sure about the budget, Not too expensive, £350 max maybe.
    I'm appalled at the advise given to me by Richer sounds, what a muppet.
    However they are very cheap for Speakers.:blush:
    I was looking at maybe 3 pairs of mission 700's, they are doing them for £80 off at the moment, making them £50 per pair.
    What HIFI gave them 5* rating, how will they perform as AV speakers though ??

The shielding isn't an issue as I have a 52" Rear projection TV.

Any more advise though would be much appreciated.

Dean

5. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Mission 700s will work well in a home cinema setup.
    If you want deep bass, buy a subwoofer, one of the Paradigms from RS will do well.

You could have... 6 X Mission 700s (£150) and Paradigm PS1000 (£150 with What Hifi mag.) Total £300 with £50 to spend on cable.

You will also need to spend another £100 or so on stands.

6. djewson

djewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already have a Yamaha YST-SW60 for my sub,
    That should be powerful enough, yes?
    So it looks like the Missions are the way to go,
    £150 plus Stands, woo hoo.
    I already have some good quality cable down so, not too bad really.

Thanks
    Dean

7. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should be a good system, possibly the best value for money out there :)

About the sub, I don' t know, I've never heard it.

8. djewson

djewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Dean

this is the biggest pile of do do I have heard in a while. It is the best way forward for sound but isn't always easy to fit arounf tvs etc.

10. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it will be better than nothing but get saving for one of the Paradigms, or another sub reccommended around here :)

50W is not a lot of power for a subwoofer and at first glance the frequency range looks impressive... down to 21Hz... until you realise that is at -10dB :rolleyes: