What speaker set up for a home cinema set up?

Dait

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to set up a small home cinema in a currently empty spare room. It measures 3.0m x 2.8m and is 2.5m high. I intend putting the tv on the 3.0m wall due to the door being on a 2.8m wall side. I was hoping to have a 5.1.4 atmos set up but is the room big enough? If so, what receiver to use? If not big enough, what is the best set up to have and what receiver? So far the only equipment I have are some speakers from a 5.1 system. I'm not sure what watt or ohm they are off the top of my head but they could possibly be utilised until I save up for some decent ones. I would like to also know what would be the best size 4k tv to get? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Budget?

Approximately £2000 for the receiver and tv not including the speakers. Any atmos speakers may be put in later but the receiver needs to be able to power them and I'll put the wiring in place ready to go for when I get them. If the TV and receiver are a fair bit under the budget then I may be able to fit the atmos speakers at the same time.

optimal-viewing-distance-television-graph-size.png

Where do you plan to put the sofa in the room? A proposed room layout would help with suggestion of the best setup in terms of Atmos etc.
Also, is the sub an active one or passive one with the set you have?

Hi PSM1 in answer to your questions, the sofa is to be situated along the 3.0m wall. I was hoping to put it right against the back wall but after looking at the recommended set up for dolby 5.1.4 or 5.1.2 on their website it says to put it a bit further forward so there is more of a gap between the main listening position and the rear surround speakers. The sub from the 5.1 system I have is passive. Would this work with the Marantz SR6011? I do intend getting some better speakers eventually when budget allows. As for Atmos speakers, I'm sure the ceiling speakers have a better effect than the upward firing ones but is there much of a difference?

With any modern receiver and especially a 6011 you will need an active sub connected via LFE.

I would check the impedance (ohms) of the speakers as well since often all in one systems with a passive sub have very low impedance speakers. If they are below 4 ohms then they really should not be used with an AVR.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom