1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What speaker set-up? 5.1 or just the fronts?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by reidy, Jul 7, 2003.

1. reidy

reidy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Am about to take the plunge into home cinema but don't know whether to go for a 5.1 package or just the 2 fronts and a centre speaker? My living room is not ideally shaped for rear speakers (TV sits in the corner of the room) so these would need to be stand mounted and be moveable so they can live in the corner of the room when not in use.

I'm thinking that I may just be better off going for a decent set of fronts and centre. How much would I be missing by losing the sub and the rears?

I have a budget of about £300 - £400 for the amp and speakers so any advice appreciated.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO for that budget (£400) I would put all that into a AV amp and stereo pair of speakers for now... and buy a centre later, and wallmounted rears later on still. (wallmounts are out of the way so that's less hassle)

Say £200 for a AV amp, and £200 for front pair.

I would not recommend getting a all in one system (5.1) for £300-£400. They sound bad.

Do you have a DVD player?

3. reidy

reidy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have an LG 4950 player.

Unfortunately the room is unable to accomodate wall mounted rears due to a large bay window on one wall and the TV being in the corner of the room.

Any recomendations on front speakers. If spending £200 on speakers I'd ideally like to include a centre in that price.