1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What speaker cables fo you recomend for my system?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by tony kop77, Feb 9, 2004.

1. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    I have just ordered the Kef 2005.2 speakers along with the Denon 2803 amp for my bedroom which is 12ft by 10ft. What speaker cables do you recomend I buy?
    I ordered my system from sevenoakes and I enquired about the QED leads £10 a metre but was told I dont need to spend that much for wuality sound and £5 a metre woulkd just as good.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I wouldn't spend as much as £5 per metre on cabling KEF Eggs. Hifibitz have QED Bronze Special edition at £2.50 per metre here which will be more than adequate

3. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Ian,

How does the QED Bronze compare to the QED Original wire ?

Crazzy, which speaker wire did you get in the end ?

4. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    I bought the QED original for £2.75 a metre.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Sorry but I don't know the answer. I only know them by reputation

6. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Thanks Guys.

I am thinking of getting QED Original for the rears (approx 12.5 metres for each of the three i.e. 37.5m) and 3x2m runs of QED Silver Anniversary for the fronts and centre.

Although the rears don't all require 12.5 metres, I seem to remeber that it is best to have the same length of wire to ensure even sound delays.

What do you think with regard to the combination of wires, or should I stick to QED Original all round ?

Unfortunately QED Silver Anniversary all round would be too costly :(

7. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The difference between the bronze and original is:
    The Bronze is a copper based version of the silver anniversary so shares conductor sizes, similar jacket and twisting.
    So is a step towards the silver at a step towards the price!

8. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I asked the same questions when buying cable for my eggs.

On the "same length" question, I asked about this when buying the eggs. The reply from the guy in the shop was that having equal lengths for the front speakers wasn't as important with the eggs as for more audiohpile-quality stereo speakers. Sure, it wouldn't do any harm, but I probably wouldn't notice any difference.

I think the issue with different lengths is actually more to do with any changes to tone of the sound that is produced rather than the delay. As the signal travels at almost the speed of light, the delay through an extra few metres of cable would be tiny.

As you're just talking about must the rears, it's probably not even worth worrying about, and just going with the lengths you need.

I use three QED SA cables, each between 3m and 5m for the front three eggs, and haven't found any problems.

For the rears, I'm curently using some cheap (50p/m) 79 strand stuff from B&Q. I'm moving house soon, so didn't want to spend a fortune on the long runs to the rear, knowing that they'd be replaced soon. I'm planning to use QED Original for the rears when I rewire them though. The cheap stuff sounds OK on the rears, so it'll be interesting to see if I notice any difference with the QED Original.

Balders.