1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What speaker cables do I need?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by CraigH, Jan 20, 2004.

1. CraigH

CraigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just about to buy a set of MS Premier speakers and a Sony STRDB-790 for my first HT setup. I'm not sure if the speakers come with any cables (as the Tannoys, Mission FS1, etc do) so what speaker and sub cables would you recommend for this setup, considering the cost is about £500?

I will need about 10m for the centre and 2 fronts and about 10m for each of the rears (total 30m)

Also, would it be recommended/compatible to connect the cables using banana plugs with this equipment?

Thanks,

Craig

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Something relatively inexpensive and offering reasonable quality would be ideal....some of the QED cables should fit the bill nicely,although I'm sure others will add to that!.....

Banana plugs are a very simple,and good quality connection,offering ease of use as well as a reliable connection which wont fray or oxidise.....Maplins sell decent quality ones at very reasonable prices.

3. CraigH

CraigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks alexs2, are there any partiular QEDs you would recommend? I know the silver anniversary are about £5pm so had ruled these out due to the value of the system.

I've found a few places selling Ixos 607 for around £1.80pm which I've heard a few people using for rears as it is flat. Would this be OK for the fronts as well or are there better for a similar price?

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    The QED original range should fit your budget,and also worth a look is Kimber's AV installation cables from Russ Andrews at £2.50/m and £3.35/m for a thicker one.

www.russandrews.com
    www.qed.co.uk