Question What speaker cable?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by tails007, Jan 29, 2017.

1. tails007

tails007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Ok so I moved into a property in October and am currently renovating that lounge. Taking walls off, insulating between studs with celotex and going over with plasterboard backed with more celotex.

In the long run if like to get surround sound. I popped into bose today and a wireless system was circa 4k, but a wired one was circa 1.5k.

Haven't looked into systems at all but I'm guessing when I do come to get one a good quality wired one will be significantly cheaper. With that in mind, and seeing as I have the walls off now, what speaker cable should I run? I wouldn't necessarily get Bose so the cable would need to be suitable for any system.

Thanks for the help

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,433
    Speaker cable - 2x2.5mm is suitable for the majority of systems, all you require is a decent quality of copper. VanDamme Blue Series is our 'go to' cable for installs.

System - wired is always best and with a budget of between £1.5 and £4k you can definitely do better than a pre packaged 'system'.

Sub-woofer - don't forget a conventional 5.1 system will include an 'Active' Subwoofer which requires 1 x 13 amp socket plus a single RCA to RCA cable (not a speaker cable) back to the AV Amp.

Room layout - follow the Dolby layout guides when choosing the correct placement for your speakers/cables, Speaker Setup Guide

Joe

3. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    My advice would be to avoid Bose , marketing hype over function and quality

4. tails007

tails007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    What would you recommend please?

5. slim01

slim01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As the others have said you'll find much better for that money than Bose.
    Great for mini hifi, headphones and portables (and even then most other companies have caught up to them nowadays) but for hifi there's just so much better out there. Their brand is mostly hype.
    . . . . . Bose would likely be giving you sub par cabling.

What cable to buy is a HUGE topic, and comes down to what you're buying, but as others have said the van blue stuff is great for most tasks.
    I would probably use blue for the rears then run something more expensive for the front left, right and centre as will only be a few metres and it will be permanent so you may thank yourself in the future if buying very expensive speakers that would benefit from it in future.
    Check out the chord cable on richer sounds, I think chord XT used to be the best you could buy, won all the awards.
    !!Remember to run 2 lengths down the wall!! - This is for each front left and right speaker, as you'll likely want to bi-wire. Or you could just buy bi-wire cable (essentially 2 runs of cable stuck together).

The current kef q range will mess all over a bose all in one package, plus they're coming to end of line to make new for new series so they are mega discounted. For 1500 you could probably get a whole 5.1 speaker package AND an av receiver to power them.

Kef, q acoustics, monitor audio, dali, and maybe mission if you like the styling are all great brands.

6. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Agree with most of the above but I dont see a need for more expensive cables for the fronts, stick with Van Damme Blue, and use money saved on the speakers and amp.

7. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,631
    A couple of interesting pieces you may wish to read...
    speaker cable upgrade worth it?
    Speaker Wire

I am in a similar position and wanting to wire mine up but not really wanting to spend a fortune.
    I think if you get 2x2.5mm and copper free you will be ok and the different makes will make a negligible difference (if any).

8. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    We choose Van Damme blue as easy to run, professionally manufactured and the right specification, there is cheaper that would probably be just as good, however the consistency of Van Damme is why we choose it as cable of choice.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,433
    'What would you recommend please?' - narrowing down some potential options requires detail on the Room floor plan, proposed Room layout and any preferences you have for the 'aesthetics' of the Loudspeaker system.

An idea of your preferred budget and what you want to include in the budget would be good too.

Joe

10. slim01

slim01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Again OP - Cabling is a very big and debated topic which often opens up cans of worms. As thug has mentioned you may get a small improvement if any, with different types of cables. Some can notice it and some can't.

For me personally I 100% noticed an (alebeit slightly) tighter bass response and perhaps crisper highs from the following cable on my floorstanders;
    from...
    Cambridge Audio 400 copper (£3per meter, so £6p/m total for bi-wire)
    CAMBRIDGE AUDIO SYMPHONY 400 Speaker Cable Per Metre
    to...
    QED silver XT anniversary bi-wire (£14p/m)
    QED SILVER ANNIVERSARY XT BI-WIRE CUSTOM Speaker Cable Per Metre
    Difference in cost for me (3M) = £24

Also upped my centre speaker from the Cambridge copper to "QED flat" (about £5pm i think) and it seemed to reduce distortion and improve bass, costing practically nothing.

I don't care what anyone says, cable quality DOES make a difference but it all comes down to your budget.
    I mentioned spending more than the Van Damme (£3p/m £6 bi wire) on the fronts as when your'e talking figures like £1500-£4000 the cost of *PERMANENTLY* cabling like 6-10 metres a cost difference of like £48-£80 should be pretty negligible IMO.
    But as Aclass says if that is gonna go on an amp instead, for someone on a low budget that could be a big deal.

Remember also the Van Damme won't be easily marked (HF+ LF+ and LF- HF-) like the bi-wire will be... Might be VERY useful once it's stuck behind a wall?

P.S.
    Also, generally HDMI or digital cables make like no difference - Looked into this after spending £80 on a Van Den Hul and the same on a long "gas injected" Ixos... No difference to Amazoon basics cable at 1/10th of the price - Analysis: It's just 0's and 1's baby.

Remember with both types though; Generally the longer the cable length needs to be, the better quality/thicker it should to be. Again the Van blue stuff is excellent quality for long/short distances.

I'd say spend roughly 10% of what your spending on the speakers on the cables:
    £1500 5.1 package = £150 of cable

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,433
    You'll have to try pretty hard to mess up using a VDC 4x cable :)

Joe

IMG_0596.JPG

12. slim01

slim01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Haha colour coded simplicity - love it. Just like those ring stacks from when we were toddlers :)

I remember having to mark my then getting frustrated when the "permanent" marker wore off, having to trace the cables down.

13. tails007

tails007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks Joe. I'm going to have a 5.1 setup with 2 speakers in the ceiling for atmos. Amp is likely to be a Yamaha RXA660 with the speakers being in wall/in ceiling monitor audio's.

I currently have the walls off and will be having insulation backed celotex plasterboard put on but before I do that i'd like to get the cable in place. The plasterer has said that flat speaker wire will be fine. So whilst the van damn's have been suggested, and i'm sure are fine. I dont think they are flat.

From my richer sounds quote they have allowed for 60 metres of cable (cambridge audio symphony 300 speaker cable). My room is 23.5ft x 14.5ft and 8ft high.

TV will be in the centre of the longest wall, above half way up the wall. centre and left/right speakers will be around the tv, and the amp/sky/ps4/sub in one corner of the room the same side as the tv.

Does this help?

Thanks again.

14. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +732
    Not sure why Richer keeps recommending that AVR if you can get Denon X3300 at 599£ (100£ cheaper). Denon should be better choice easily! More power, hdmi 8in 2out (Yamaha 4in 1out), 7.2ch pre-out, top end room correction Audussey MultEQ XT32 vs. lowest YPAO on the A660 etc.

Guess they have too many Yamaha`s on stock.. :rolleyes:

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,433
    Layout - follow the Dolby guide, Speaker Setup Guide

Speaker cable - if the walls are down why the requirement for a flat speaker cable - get the cables in the wall; you don't want to be plastering directly onto cable if you can avoid it. If you do need to go 'flat' ensure you still have a 2x2.5mm cable.

CAT6 - ensure you also run CAT6 to the TV and Source(s)/AVR.

Sub - ensure you run a Sub cable! Sticking a Sub in a corner is not always the best option.

HDMI - how long will the cable to the TV be? If you are planning for UHD. then anything over 6m is 'long' and you will want to ensure you have some options is you hit problems or ever break/damage a cable, conduit is good!

TV - ensure you provide a power isolation switch somewhere accessible (not behind the TV!).

Joe