1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what speaker cable???

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by gino555, Apr 24, 2005.

1. gino555

gino555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

can any one recommend what speaker cable i should use i have a pair of tdl kv6 speakers and a kenwood KA-3020 amp and these are currently biwired in twin and earth (1.5mm) but it looks a mess, does the csa of a cable make a lot of difference? will i get away with 4 core 1mm QED cable or should i go for 2.5mm?

Thanks

Gino555

2. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gino, have a look in the stickies and do a search for info about cat5 cables - they're a great upgrade from T&E...not difficult to make but need a couple of hours. They're much neater than T&E but almost as cheap! Sound quality really is good rather than "acceptable for cheap cable".

3. gino555

gino555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    thanks for the reply but i dont have the time to mess about with cat 5 i will spend upto £5/metre but i am confused as to if the csa makes that much difference i dont want to many cables on show so i was going to with a 4 core what is the best make/type to go for

Thanks

Gino555

4. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  5. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Gino dont be so quick to rule out CAT5. I swapped £8.99 per metre Biwire Silver Anniversary for CAT5 as it sounded much better.

6. gino555

gino555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    is it hard to rig up?

7. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No, not really. It isn't fuss free, but isn't that hard. And, if you into biwiring etc., then the difference over most typical 'good' cable is probably worth having. Also it feels good to know you made it (or is that just me!). Why not have a go? It will only cost you a few pounds and an hour of time to try it?

Cheers

Greg

8. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I used 6 strands each of cat5 for both of my stereo speakers. It does take a wee bit of time the braiding isnt the hard part its the stripping the cable and getting them into plugs.

9. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have to say that an automatic wire stripper is a godsend for that part - they are only a few quid, and it reduces the time taken by a factor of 10 or so (i.e. from a bit of a pain to a relatively quick process)

10. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Gregory how have you got yours set up.

At the amp end I have all the coloured cat5 cables (all 24 twisted together) and attached to a side entry babana plug into the top + speaker connection. Obviously I have done the same with the white/coloured stripe cat5 cables and have that connected to the - speaker connection. At the speaker end for the top + and - connection I have taken two of the 6 cables and twisted the coloured together and did the same for the white coloured stripe. For the two bottom + and - connections on my speaker I have twisted together the four remaining lengths of CAT5 coloured cables together and the same with the other four for - connections.
    This gives you one impressive looking thick cable but is still biwire.
    Originally I had 4 sets of the three strands of CAT5 but when I tried this method there was a great improvement.

11. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Much the same model as you, but the cable is all buried in a wall behind plates, so the ends are terminated in gold crimp connectors (ones for car audio, from Maplin) - these were crimped on and then silver soldered. The wall plates were gold plate 4mm banana sockets, so pretty good electrical connections throughout. I've left it biwired at both ends, so if I ever want to try out presence speakers or use side speakers for 7.1 I can do it moderately easily (Mains aren't actual biwired at the moment). Photo shows the amp end for the mains (must load this up on a web site at some point to avoid the file hassles!)

Rears were just double CAT5 runs, and the centre was a triple - but no biwiring for any of that.

As for the wall to amp connections - haven't done them yet (not properly anyway - still decorating the room) - but I want to get something a little more flexible and good looking - may yet strip down the cable sheath from CAT5 and use the cores insode braided covers for that.

Can't honestly say I've tried different configurations - tried this and it sounded great (as well as having good press) - so I went ahead. However, I must still try the lightning proof version at some point (I now realise there was a flaw in my proposed construction for that - it needs the cable INSIDE the ligntening conductor - but that design will have to wait for another day ;)

Cheers

Greg

Attached Files:

12. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Nice work Greg!
    The lightning conductors a bitch isn't it! Big problem getting the heatshrink for it as well.
    Ah well, another day I guess.

13. gino555

gino555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am impressed!!!!!!!! it looks a bit on the bulky side as a 1 metre strech will be on show and cliped to the wall how much cable would i need for 2 x 6 metres runs?(biwired) so let me get this right you have 3 cat 5 cables and twist the core together at each end and put heat shrink on and solder a spade connection or plug at each end AS EASY AS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!????

14. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    No gino. I used 6 lengths of 2 and a half metres for 1 speaker and braided them all together in pairs. Gregory has used just the three lengths of CAT5 and he has braided them together.

15. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Check the weblink in Knightshades post it shows you how to make CAT5 cables.

16. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No, I used six as well, with four for one line ofthe bi-wire and two for the other. I used three for the centre though (not quite sure why three - guess I got used to plaiting and you can't do it with two :)

17. gino555

gino555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    thanks that has made things a lot clearer ive had a look on maplins web site and they do a cat 6 cable is this better to use than cat 5? if i use 3 cat 5 or 6 cables will be ok for biwiring so instead of using 2 x 12 strands i am thinking of using 4 x 6 strands will this be ok? or do i have to run 6 cables per speaker?

18. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Search the forums and the info on the link earlier in the thread - most of what you need to know will be there (in fact far more than you could ever need to know, and probably more than you will ever want to know) - but it is that easy, yes

19. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Really can't make up my mind if the CAT6 cable is any better. I'm using four cables, I can't use six at the moment due to the thickness of the cable and the size of the banana connectors. 1st impressions seem good. I wouldn't say you must use CAT6 it's way better than cat5 though.....
    Think i'll probably be sticking with the cat5.

20. gino555

gino555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i will go for the cat 5 option!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the help

21. gino555

gino555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    does it make a lot of difference if i dont biwire the speakers ?as i dont want to end up with 12 cat 5 cables bunched together

thanks

22. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No, not unless you want it. I bi-wired for future-proofing as much as anything. If you don't want to then just use as many runs of CAT5 as you need to get the cross-sectional area you want. Two would do for small speakers, three-four (or more) would be better for larger full-range speakers