what speaker cable to get

T0rNaDo

after buying a
Pioneer VSXC502
and
Tannoy FX5.1 Silver (5.1 Speaker Package)

ive wired up the speakers using the cable supplied.

but the sub and rear speaker cables run next to power cables.
and there is no way around this...

so i get the hummmm.. from the sub..

so what i need is some good speaker cable..... shielded... and ofc ?

my local places to get from would be.

richer sounds... but i dont see shielded on there.
http://ws2.richersounds.com/productlist.php?cda=productlist&sgroup=SPEAKERESSENTIALS1

or maplin.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Sub_Category.aspx?Menu=2&doy=2m11

but i guess ordering from online can be done too..

thxs.....

Dankeech

T0rNaDo said:
after buying a
Pioneer VSXC502
and
Tannoy FX5.1 Silver (5.1 Speaker Package)

ive wired up the speakers using the cable supplied.

but the sub and rear speaker cables run next to power cables.
and there is no way around this...

so i get the hummmm.. from the sub..

so what i need is some good speaker cable..... shielded... and ofc ?

my local places to get from would be.

richer sounds... but i dont see shielded on there.
http://ws2.richersounds.com/productlist.php?cda=productlist&sgroup=SPEAKERESSENTIALS1

or maplin.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Sub_Category.aspx?Menu=2&doy=2m11

but i guess ordering from online can be done too..

thxs.....
I used to shop frequently at Richer Sounds, but find their speaker cable selection a bit poor. Mostly Gale & Cabletalk, but no Chord or QED etc.

With regards to electrical interferance, I wouldn't worry about it with the speaker wire, as speaker wire has more power running through it, whereas a phono cable with a non-amplified signal would be affected much more by interference (such as a cable running between cd player & amp etc).

Don't know the Tannoy's you have or their sound very well, so I would suggest chatting with a hifi shop such as sevenoaks or somewhere like that and seeing what they've got.

Dan

Dankeech

Dankeech said:
I used to shop frequently at Richer Sounds, but find their speaker cable selection a bit poor. Mostly Gale & Cabletalk, but no Chord or QED etc.

With regards to electrical interferance, I wouldn't worry about it with the speaker wire, as speaker wire has more power running through it, whereas a phono cable with a non-amplified signal would be affected much more by interference (such as a cable running between cd player & amp etc).

Don't know the Tannoy's you have or their sound very well, so I would suggest chatting with a hifi shop such as sevenoaks or somewhere like that and seeing what they've got.

Dan
Wow, I must have read only half your post for some reason..... :oops:

Are you providing your sub with signal inputs (non-amplified phono signal), or high-level Amplified output (speaker wire)?

T0rNaDo

on the back of the amp the output for the sub is rca plug...

so i used the same speaker cable i used for all the speakers.

and made a rca to rca lead...

and it plugs in to the low level left input on the back of the sub..

the speakers sound very well.. im very happy with them.

just when they aint in use. and the sub is left on...

you can hear the hummm

T0rNaDo

if i unplug the rca speaker cable lead from the back of the sub then the humm stops.......

but

if i unplug it from the amp end... the humm is still there....
even thou the cable is un plugged from the amp.
and only connected at the sub end.
this i think would be coz the cable is laying next to power cable..

so would it be best to get some shielded audio cable and remake this rca lead... ???

T0rNaDo

no comments huh ! :confused:

rowlandhills

tornado,

I think that you should probably not be using speaker cable for your sub. Speaker cable is designed for high-level, amplified signals, which are much less susceptible to interference from mains etc. Your sub cable should be a low level, screened cable.

I'd probably look at something like XS40T from Maplin, if you want to make your own, or buy one form Mark Grant on these forums if you want one ready made.

T0rNaDo

rowlandhills said:
tornado,

I think that you should probably not be using speaker cable for your sub. Speaker cable is designed for high-level, amplified signals, which are much less susceptible to interference from mains etc. Your sub cable should be a low level, screened cable.

I'd probably look at something like XS40T from Maplin, if you want to make your own, or buy one form Mark Grant on these forums if you want one ready made.
k thxs for the advise.

il check out some screened leads or cable... for length i need....

Trending threads

Top Bottom