What speaker cable to buy

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by freyster, Jan 30, 2009.

1. freyster

freyster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi :thumbsup:

I'm pretty new to this forum and wanted to get some advise.

My current set up is:

Pioneer PDP-LX5090
    Onkyo AV Amp - 876
    B&W MT30 speaker package.

I'm looking to build a false wall and recess the screen and have 3 boxes above for the speakers.

At the rear have the back speakers and also considering on purchasing 2 more MT1's to make it 7.1 as I'm burring all the cable thought might as well do everything at the same time.

The set up, i.e. Amp, Sky box, Popcorn Media Tank, NAS will be in the next room and everything controlled via the new Logitech Harmony 1100 remote, is that a good choice?

But I'm looking to bury all the cabling in the walls for the rear and side speakers and the cable length will be quite long as it will be coming from the room next door , up the wall and into the ceiling to the back wall and then put down a pipe which will be buried.

Can any one recommend what sort of cabling I should be going for. My current kit is final and I'm not looking to upgrade for quite some time.
    Also by having all the equipment in the room next door, do you think the current choice of remote is good. I do like the Pronto 9600 but the price tag is way to much.
    Any advise would be appreciated, esp on the cabling.

Thanks

2. Enwezor

Enwezor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi
    This is almost identical set-up to mine - yours is a bit newer.
    I have the Onkyo 875 + B&W MT-30.

I didn't bother with any rears but for the surrounds, I had to run the speaker cable in the same way that you are proposing. They were quite long runs - around 20 metres.

I used QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cable.

It is frowned upon as being quite difficult to work with as it is quite stiff. Some experienced forum members (CrustyLoafer) who I think does this for a living suggests instead of using QED Silver Anniversary XT, using QED Silver Micro as it is much easier to work with.

By the time I had read this, I had already bought the XT. However, after working out how the M1 speakers mounts were constructed, I found the XT cable to be absolutely fine. It's got this solid core running through it which at first I thought I had to chop out but it fits the contacts of the M1 speaker mounts just fine and I've had no problems. I'm sure CrustyLoafer is right in saying it is not the easiest to work with but I had no problem at all.

I put 2 other M1s in the kitchen through the back of the wall as I didn't think the rear sound was worth it and I love having the 2 zone thing off your AV/Receiver. With your AV Receiver, I think you have 2 HDMI out which is a superb bonus. Enjoy!;)

Here are some piccies:
    P1040497.jpg

P1040498.jpg

P1040499.jpg

P1040504.jpg

3. freyster

freyster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    LoL :rotfl:

I like the room. Its the same theme Im going for, the TV wall will be a plum (Mulberry Burst) and Cream (soft stone) on the other 3 walls.

Ok cool I think I will go for the QED Silvery Anniversary cabling as its got good reviews and the price tag isnt bad.

Did you go for 7.1 speakers or 5.1

At the moment ive brought 5.1 but am thinking of getting the extra 2, what do you reckon, is it worth going for 7.1 even though everything these days is at 5.1 standard :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Any other tips do you I should watch out for.

Should I use banana plugs or not bother with that.

Thanks

4. paulr2006

paulr2006
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,506
    The QED Silver Anniversary Micro works very well indeed & is a little over £3 metre idf you shop around :)

5. ResidentDeagle

ResidentDeagle
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    i use QED silver annerversary XT. very vright and colourfull sounds from it.

6. Enwezor

Enwezor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hiya

Thanks, put a fair amount of effort in to hide cable and stuff with my mate and pleased with the result!:)
    I thought about 6.1 and 7.1 but from what I read, I don't think it makes a big difference for the majority of films. I did however buy another 2 M-1 speakers but I connected them up as Zone 2 and stuck them in the kitchen on the other side of the main wall.

I'm no expert but the M-1s sound great as stereo speakers so they are fine if you want to fill another Zone.

Also, as far as I know, you can't use banana plugs with either the AV receiver or the B&W M1s.
    Now, I do know that you can fiddle with the back of the 875/876 and remove the thing that the impedes the banana plugs from going on snugly, however, the satellite speakers definitely don't take them as the mounting bracket that comes with the speaker has it's own termination point in the mount.
    I don't think that you can buy QED speaker cable with banana plugs at only one end so I don't think that they are suitable.

My advice is that you should read the B&W M-1 manual very carefully and experiment before you actual drill holes to attach the mount on the wall if doing that. Once you get to know how the mount works as you can adjust everything, then attaching them to the wall will be much easier. For example, if you wall mount the centre speaker, then you need to work out where the wall mount arm goes exactly so that the centre speaker is in the centre under the TV so that you can drill the holes in the right place.

I think either of the QED Silver Micro speaker cables will sound great - I only have experience of the XT. It is more difficult to work with but I found it fine. Oh yes, one final thing, make sure that you don't underestimate the speaker cable length when running it over long distances as that can be quite easy to do!

Good luck with it all:hiya:

7. cunny678

cunny678

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    I would be carefull putting a sliver cable into permanent position. I had some silver anniversary QED and it made my system a tad on the bright side for me. Changed it for some mainstream copper cable and it sounded fine.

Silver cables do suffer from this but it is dependent on the kit you are partnering it with. If you want to use it, I would suggest you connect it up to your system and run it for a while to make sure you like it before you bury it!!

8. Enwezor

Enwezor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    But it is copper inside QED Silver Anniversary XT - it's just got a thick sheath around it but it's just plain old copper inside with a core inside it.

You could be right about the sound of the speaker cable but it's just plain old copper inside.

9. freyster

freyster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi :clap:

Thanks for the feedback. Apologies for being abit :rolleyes::boring::confused::confused:
    im a novice, what do you mean by "Tad on the bright side"

Thanks for the advise, Ive ordered the cable so what I will do is test it out with all the speakers and Amp.

The Amp Onkyo 876 comes with some sound calibration.

Its my first time having such a kit, so Im not sure what to look out for as Im pretty sure everything that comes out of the speakers will sound fine to me.

Should I test it with other cables.

:eek: Thanks

10. Enwezor

Enwezor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Never understood what 'bright' sounding means but it is one of those terms used by "audio" people all the time to describe sound. To me, it's a bit like wine connoisseurs using the word 'woody' or 'brambly' to discuss wine. Most people don't understand it but just read it!

Maybe an audiophile can describe in words what 'bright' sounding means?

To me, the QED speaker cable sounds great but I didn't try other ones. As you, I was a complete novice so just went on various 5-star ratings. I wouldn't bother testing other speaker cables but it is entirely up to you.

Cheers

11. cunny678

cunny678

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    "Bright" means it emphasises the treble which can be a good or bad thing depending what you partner it with!

12. cunny678

cunny678

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    It may sound OK in your system but not in others! Cables dont make a big difference to the sound so we are talking about small changes. However, silver cables did not work for me and the cheap copper cable I now have sounds better in my system to me!

Also, just because a magazine rates something as 5 stars it doesnt mean it will always sound great. If you put together a 5 star amp, cd and speakers and they all sound bright you will end up with a sytems that very definately wont have a five star sound to some people.

13. 7ippy7

7ippy7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry about digging old thread. I have been searching around as I want to upgrade my system. I have decided to buy QED silver anniversary XT for my front. I just wanna know your opinion as I need to buy banana plug to pair with it. If you were me which one would you recommend if you were me. Is these OK?
    Fisual Easy Fix Banana Plugs - 4 Pack:Amazon:Electronics

Or this one. It's very cheap as some people said that it wont be any improvement. I don't mind about that but what about degradation.
    24k Gold Connector Banana Plugs, Open Screw Type 24 Pack (12 Red, 12 Black):Amazon:Electronics

Any recommendation is very welcome.

7ippy7

14. freyster

freyster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I didn't use any plugs, I used the QED silver cable and screwed it in directly to the speakers. I used the same cable for all speakers, didn't bother with any plugs.

15. 7ippy7

7ippy7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that there is no need for banana plug but it is always a mess when I want to change cable at the back of my amp. So, It can be very neat and it would be easier for moving when u need to.

16. PKAWA

PKAWA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just bought the Sewell silverbacks. They are similar to the nakamichi ones, and from what i have heard they are very good. full copper and well... cheap.
    So i'd go for those.

17. PKAWA

PKAWA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Quick question:

I have a rx-v2067 with wharfedale 10.2 -10.7 and a 10cm speaker.
    The sub is a 10mx, but it has it's own subwoofercable, so not worried about that.
    Now i'm using 2,5mm2 speaker wire.
    would this be sufficient, or should i go with 4mm2?

18. MemX

MemX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    2.5mm^2 should be fine :)

19. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: