What speaker cable to buy and from where?

deadred

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ill be needed a fair old amount of speaker cable as i will be running it up a corner of the fireplace and then inside the coving on the ceiling to get rid of as much wire "mess" :rolleyes: as possible. As this is my first set up i dont have a clue what to buy or where from, any advice appreciated

Cheers

Oh and i should also point out that getting it locally is pretty much a no go as my local shop is a complete rip off so any online places would be an advantage

I use Van Damme blue series 4mm - doesn't cost the earth and gives a good straightforward sound. Don't know where you are in Cumbria but the Maplins in Carlisle still has a load left, although its no longer listed in their catalogue. I swapped to the Van Damme from some rather more expensive stuff and haven't regretted it.

QED micro series cables are very small in profile yet provide a good sound.

Maplins is a good choice to keep the price down. Have look on their website. Hifi shops have overheads and can provide good advice which avoids expensive internet purchase mistakes. What are they suggesting you use. What kit are you using BTW.

I like QED Silver Anniversary myself. I get mine on the bay. There is some now at £3.99 mtr with free delivery. Item number 320096305300

I have nothing to do with this item, nor the seller.

If it's a difficult install, it's probably better to spend a bit more (I wouldn't justify any more than this), rather than buy rubbish and be stuck with it.

You can use cat5 ethernet cable and many people swear by it, but it's DIY and a bit more trouble.

Graham

QED micro series cables are very small in profile yet provide a good sound.

Maplins is a good choice to keep the price down. Have look on their website. Hifi shops have overheads and can provide good advice which avoids expensive internet purchase mistakes. What are they suggesting you use. What kit are you using BTW.
I've a Pioneer VSX-D2011 with 6.1 Infinity Oreus speakers, i haven't asked the shop what to use as i guarantee they'll want me to use the most expensive!

I like QED Silver Anniversary myself. I get mine on the bay. There is some now at £3.99 mtr with free delivery. Item number 320096305300

I have nothing to do with this item, nor the seller.

If it's a difficult install, it's probably better to spend a bit more (I wouldn't justify any more than this), rather than buy rubbish and be stuck with it.

You can use cat5 ethernet cable and many people swear by it, but it's DIY and a bit more trouble.

Graham

I'm going to need around the 30m mark so that'd be £120 for the cable alone :eek:, think i'll have to get saving (again)

Hello oascarmadfish

VanDamme Blue Series 2x1.5mm will be ideal and is relatively thin and very flexible so easier than most to 'install' - you ought not to be spending more than approx 40.00 GBP for 30m.

See http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388257

Joe

Hi Joe, thanks for the rply, thats more like my price bracket :)

Silly question but do they do it in white as the coving is white and it will blend with it?

Hello deadred (oops must have been cutting and pasting last time!!!)

The Blue Series cables are all 'Blue' :) - they have a very flexible Neoprene outer and will take a paint finish if required.

Joe

Hello deadred (oops must have been cutting and pasting last time!!!)

The Blue Series cables are all 'Blue' :) - they have a very flexible Neoprene outer and will take a paint finish if required.

Joe

Hi Joe thanks again, do you have any white cable that would do the job, if i go the blue route you know who will have to paint the full coving around the room, and then when thats done it'll be "i think we should paint the ceiling now as it doesn't match the coving" etc etc :D

Hello deadred

Have a look for QED's 'old faithful' Classic 79 Strand at approx 1.70p/m.

Not something I keep 'on the drum' but I'm sure lots of folk do.

Joe

I use IXOS flat cable for my rears and it has an adhesive backing and sticks the walls and floor with ease and I just slapped some magnolia on it. I highly recommend it for rears anyway. I use QED SA for my fronts and centre which is fed through some conduit. A lot of folks on here recommend the Van Damme Blue stuff so it must be good.

I've managed to track down some QED "classic" 79 and i actually need 45m not 30 :oops:, anyway a price for that is £60inc free delivery does that sound ok or should i be looking elsewhere?

I use IXOS flat cable for my rears and it has an adhesive backing and sticks the walls and floor with ease and I just slapped some magnolia on it. I highly recommend it for rears anyway. I use QED SA for my fronts and centre which is fed through some conduit. A lot of folks on here recommend the Van Damme Blue stuff so it must be good.

Also the blue is a no go as i will be running it up the corner of the fireplace which is also cream:thumbsdow

Or what about QED Micro Speaker Cable? I'll be ordering this tonight or tomorrow so any advice out of these two i go for would be appreciated

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom