What Speaker Cable & hdmi for my setup

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by haybaby212, Sep 19, 2007.

1. haybaby212

haybaby212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Guys am moving soon so will need to get new speaker cable

The equipment i have is B&W M1 Mini theatre with rel quake all connected to a onkyo 605 amp.

The cable im using at the moment is QED Silver Annerversary XT now i need to buy new as the runs i have at the moment are not long enough.

Shall i buy the same again or use something else????

Also whats a good quality HDMI lead to run from the amp this will be going inside a wall so dont want to change it ever.

Same with speaker cables these will be run under the carpert.

Ta

Mark

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Use good quality speaker cable for the fronts and centre as they carry most of the detailed sounds. For the rears look at QED micro or ixos flat as they are easy to hide. Another favourite on here is Van Damme Blue. As for HDMI look at Mark Grant or Bettercables above in the powerbuys above. I have both in my system. I think if the cable is <5m you could probably get away with cheap cable but like you I wouldn't like to take the chance and Mark Grant&Bettercables are guaranteed as 1080p compatible. Just make sure you test it before completing the installation. Techlink also supposed to be good.

3. chamill

chamill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    IMO you need no 'better' than the Van Damme cable for your speakers. Thicker for the fronts and thinner to run to the back to save some money.

2.5-4.0mm for the front and 1.5-2.5mm for the rears.

http://www.clearly-av.co.uk/V525060.html

4. haybaby212

haybaby212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    thats seems cheap is it also worth getting the cable terminated at the amp end?

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,516
    Hello haybaby212

The VanDamme Blue Series will be ideal - odd that everyone always goes for the thinner gauge on long runs (the tech bods will tell you that's the wrong way around:)).

Termination is handy if the sockets on the AV Receiver are tightly spaced - you can order them pre terminated; see http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388257

For the HDMI cable then BetterCables is still a great option if you don't want to ever have to swap it out - Octava is a lower cost alternative!

Joe

6. sameerabedi

sameerabedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry to butt in on this thread. I didn't want to waste space and start another one for a similar question posed by the OP.

I need to purchase 3 HDMI cables of 2m length. Don't want to spend crazy amounts and was hoping for some recommendations of decent quality cables for a reasonable price - £50 for all three if possible?

Thanks

7. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    These are usually recommended on here: Molex 2m HDMI . Alternatively have a look for Bettercables from tmfsolutions or markgrantcables.co.uk 1080p cables. See powerbuy above

8. sameerabedi

sameerabedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Molex 2m cables you qoute above are 1080p compliant presumably? Mark grant cables is out of commision till 28th sept, so can't look there at present.

With regard to speaker cables, I've already had to lay the speaker cables in my house when laying the carpet a month or so ago, where can I pick up terminated speaker ends which I can attach to the speaker cables?

9. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    The Molex don't state they are 1080p compatible but should be fine at only 2m. It's only when you start going above 5m that you have to start spending more. Check out the bettercables ones (prob more £) or bluejeanscables which are pretty cheap (but you have to add import duty on top). There are cheapish 1080p cables at audiovisualonline but I haven't heard of anyone using them.

As for terminating your speaker cables, buy some cheap banana plugs from the likes of ebay or maplins. Look for profigold ones, they're cheap and good quality. You will have to remove the small insert from the centre of the speaker connections (use a small screwdriver) and then the banana plugs can just plug straight in.