What speaker cable for HTSS1100/1300 ?

artax

Standard Member
We're getting a new carpet soon for our lounge and I wanted to get a Sony HTSS1100 installed before the carpet went down (had one on order since Feb). Unfortunately my HTSS1100 order has been cancelled and like everyone else I'm waiting for the HTSS1300. We need to get the carpet fitted soon so I was thinking of putting some cable under the carpet first and then use it with the amp when it eventually arrives sometime in the next couple of months (dont Sony want to sell things?!). So heres the question, what quality/type/make of cable should I get now? Am I correct in thinking the sub woofer is hard wired so I'll have to use the cable that comes with that anyway?

Thanks in advance

Dave

stefanr

We're getting a new carpet soon for our lounge and I wanted to get a Sony HTSS1100 installed before the carpet went down (had one on order since Feb). Unfortunately my HTSS1100 order has been cancelled and like everyone else I'm waiting for the HTSS1300. We need to get the carpet fitted soon so I was thinking of putting some cable under the carpet first and then use it with the amp when it eventually arrives sometime in the next couple of months (dont Sony want to sell things?!). So heres the question, what quality/type/make of cable should I get now? Am I correct in thinking the sub woofer is hard wired so I'll have to use the cable that comes with that anyway?

Thanks in advance

Dave
Not sure about the sub but all the wires have Sony connectors on them so hope your good with a soldering iron.

Can you wait until July? :suicide: you maybe better getting another make altogether, Sony have the Wembley syndrome. Getting later and later, they may show an appearance briefly before Christmas and the disappear again.

Not sure about the sub but all the wires have Sony connectors on them so hope your good with a soldering iron.

Can you wait until July? :suicide: you maybe better getting another make altogether, Sony have the Wembley syndrome. Getting later and later, they may show an appearance briefly before Christmas and the disappear again.
What do you mean by Sony connectors? My HT SS1100 has bare wires, and clips in the speakers.

stefanr

What do you mean by Sony connectors? My HT SS1100 has bare wires, and clips in the speakers.
Yes, that is with the 1100. I am assuming, until I see differently, that the 1300 and 2300 will be the same as the 1200 and 2000 which both have sony connectors on the back of the receiver. I doubt that sony would reverse engineer what they have done with the current models.

Proper spring clip or binding posts does make more sense, but sony have a habit of being individual in that department and are currently using Lan style plugs for these models.

ajm007

Novice Member
Assuning that you are refferring to the speaker connection. Not sure that is correct about the connections on the speakers. This is taken from the sony HT-SF1300 spec sheet on sony website...

Speaker Connection

Satellite spks
Push Terminal

Subwoofer
Direct wire

stefanr

Assuning that you are refferring to the speaker connection. Not sure that is correct about the connections on the speakers. This is taken from the sony HT-SF1300 spec sheet on sony website...

Speaker Connection

Satellite spks
Push Terminal

Subwoofer
Direct wire
Push Terminal means their connectors. You can download the 1300 manual here

which clearly shows the lan style connectors :eek:, so back to the original question... I hope your good with a soldering iron.

ajm007

Novice Member
Push Terminal means their connectors. You can download the 1300 manual here

which clearly shows the lan style connectors , so back to the original question... I hope your good with a soldering iron.
I see what you mean now i thought you were refferring to the back of the speakers. Where would i buy such connectors and how are they fitted?

stefanr

I see what you mean now i thought you were refferring to the back of the speakers. Where would i buy such connectors and how are they fitted?
You can't buy the plugs as far as I'm aware, they are already fitted ie pre-terminated speaker cables and are supplied with the unit.

So the only way round the problem would be to cut all the plugs off the cables say about 4-5 inches and solder them to the new wires.

You may need a steady hand as I'm not sure how easy it would be depending on both wires being joined.

artax

Standard Member
Ok, thanks for letting me know, looks like I'll need a rethink :(

Maybe the HTSS1300 will turn up soon (ooh look a flying pig :))

Dave

mossym

Distinguished Member
you could also get some two sided crimp terminals and connect the wires that way, save you soldering. maplin should have them. just cut the supplied cables, then use the crimp connectors to connect in new longer lengths

ajm007

Novice Member
Thanks for the tips on the wires and connections. The reason i ask is that i have the wires for my current system under the laminate flooring and don't really want to take it up to change the wiring. The wires that are down now don't have any connections on them apart from rca plugs at the end where they go into the amp.

What is the proper name for the connectors that sony use?

stefanr

Been having a look around and have found this site that look like they have the plugs need to make up your own leads.
Looks like a winner, give them the model number and it looks like they can supply as they seem to cover a lot of models.

:thumbsup: