1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What speaker cable do you use?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Tracey, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently using some XLO bi-wire cable, I can't remember the exact model number but it's blue and cost about £8 per metre. I'm only using this for the fronts and centre, the rear speakers just have some Gale XLO. The problem is when I move my speaker cable for my front left speaker won't be long enough so I'm probalby going to have to replace the lot as I've been told that really the cable for the centre speaker should match the front L/R. So, what cables do people use (bi-wire only) and what would you recommend? I don't really want to pay more than £10 a metre as I'm going to need loads. I'll also need some new cable for my rears.

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Tracy
    I use silver anniversary bywire around 8-10 pounds a metre its a good quality cable .
    Gonzo

3. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I'm using HomeMade bi-wire capable Cat5 cable here :p

Excellent stuff really considering

4. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Chord Rumour 4, but only for the fronts & centre.

IMO, save your money & keep your rear speakers wired as they are.

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I'm using Van Den Hul Teatrack for my front l&r and centre and cheapo gale stuff for me rear and surrounds.

6. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    QED Silver Ann.

MuFu.

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im with the network cable DIY...... plenty as good as anything else ive ever heard (which runs up to £10 per meter.... ive never heard anything costlier)

Ad

8. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Another vote for CAT5 here :smashin: . I bought 12 metres of Silver anniversary and found my CAT5 sounded as good if not better (great :rolleyes: )

Dave

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh and not to mention that the diy cables can look good..... i dont even have to hide mine since they look like some sort of fancy skirting edging! :D

Ad

10. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    QED XT400 for the front 3 and QED Qudos for the rears.

11. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Since merging with my hifi I've got 3 runs of biwire (to biamp) my front 3 with Nordost Flatline Gold.

The rears still have QED Quodos on them.

I've tried many other cables in my time including (recently) KEF Ref cables which were pretty good.

I intend to eventually use Nordost all round purely for uniformity reasons, but to be honest the rears really only need a good quality copper cable on them.

I don't think many people could truthfully hear a difference between cables at the rear.

I keep all my cables now as quick fire swap rounds, whilst very unscientific, confirm that the Nordost are the best I've heard to date for the fronts.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I amusing QED bronze for the front 3 and 79 strand generic for rears...

13. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    I have QED Silver anniversary and although I like liked it initially I seem to be going more and more against it after trying about 6 other speaker cables in the last few days. In my system the Silver ann produces a quite bright sound. If your after a slightly smoother listen, try out some copper only based cables.

To be honest cable selection is all very contentious anyway - you need to listen and decide for yourself.

14. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, I have a Marantz 7300 and am planning to get the Kef 2005.2. I'm kind of on a budget though and am looking for some speaker cable. Unfortunately I can't afford the super expensive stuff. I'm looking at maybe £50 - £80. Can anyone suggest anything around this price range that will still provide decent quality? I've heard about using Cat5 before but I feel this may be too thick to run just under the edge of the carpet. Could someone also explain what has to be done with the Cat5? Thanks.

15. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    A quick search on Google found this http://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html and I'm sure those here that have gone this route can give you some further practical tips.

16. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  17. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I'm just using bog standard Gale 315XL from RS...but will be (hopefully) buying an integrated amp, and new speaker cables soon thereafter... 8o)

18. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like the idea of the cat5 diy cable but it's finding the time to do it, and if I don't like it it will be too late! I'm also quite keen on Nordost speaker cable but it's expensive.

19. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  20. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    tracy on a differant topic what were the results of your arcam processer/poweramp demo you had a while back????

21. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot to say didn't I, the results were WOW!

I demoed the AV8/P7 with a DV27 and the speakers were PMC TB2 (front and centre) and DB1 rears. I listened to a CD first and just couldn't believe how good it sounded, really good punchy bass and the mid range and treble sounded lovely, no harshness but I could hear every single detail. We then added a REL Srata sub (or was it a Storm) and it sounded even better, the sound was bigger but it certainly didn't sound as if the sub was there as such just seemed to be coming from the speakers. Then I had a blast of MI2 (the motobike chase scene of course), it sounded excellent, the main thing I noticed was how much sound was coming out of the rear speakers and also the fact that it was loud but a really nice smooth sound, the thing that really stood out was how much better the dialogue sounded I coud hear every word and wasn't straining to hear it the speakers were perfectly balanced I couldn't really tell where it was coming from juyst all around me.

I was toying with the idea of listening to the B&W 805 for the front but they are double the price of the PMC TB2 and as I was so happy with the sound I decided this was what I wanted, maybe there is something better but I can't afford it.

So I am now the proud owner of the AV8/P7, PMC TB2 fronts and center. I'm still using my Eltax HT2 bipolars for the rears and my Paradigm PDR10 sub, but when I move house I'll replace those with the DB1 and probably an REL sub. Looks as well as sound is important to me so I want a sub that looks nice, not a black ugly things like I have now.

Oh and even with the set up I have now I can't stop listening to it, it sounds great, I don't care if people think I need more exensive speakers, I love my PMC's they're great.

22. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks tracy glad your happy,, as regards cable cant you loan some cables from the dealer from where you purchased arcam etc, so you can try at home to see if you get improvement or not ,

ost dealers will loan cables to try especially as you have spent a considerable su of money with them.

23. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes I think that's what I'll do, I wouldn't need to replace it at all but it's just not going to be long enough when I move which is typical. :mad:

24. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Tracey...if you're looking at Nordost,you should also take a look at Kimber 4TC and 8TC ..... www.russandrews.com are the Uk distributors,and they now offer a 60 day trial/money back period....well worth a look.

25. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Looking at the quality gear you've got, it's worth spending a reasonable amount on well made, quality cable with good quality materials. I don't mean exotic stuff with prices to match, but for example, the Nordost I use is my optimum price vrs quality cable.

When we demoed it, it was clearly superior to some Chord we'd tried and a lesser Nordost. Any more (price wise) wouldn't be worth it imho. It is better than other cables I have at home.

I believe Nordost is overpriced, but it is very good cable indeed.

The suggestion to look at Russ Andrew cables is a good one. They would be comparable and have a good reputation.

At the end of the day, it's not easy. We all have strong and divided opinions on what's best, what's a con and so on.

I'll simply give my thumbs up for the Nordost Flatline Gold, and recommend you use it as a basis for comparison to other brands, then at least you'll get some really good cable without going mad on price. Hopefully.:)

26. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    I'm sticking with my 69p per metre Maplin's cable for now. (Biwiring achieved by attaching two wires to the same banana plug. :) )

27. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need to measure up and work out how many metres I need I've got a bad feeling I'll need two 4 metre lengths for the front L/R, I presume the cable for the centre speaker can be shorter and doesn't need to match the lengths of the front L/R?

I think I'l have a shock when I work our how much it's going to cost me :thumbsdow

28. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    It may well do!....Kimber 8TC will be about £380 for 4m,and 4TC about £240 for 4m....there are cheaper alternatives,but in the Kimber range these are about the best "sensibly"priced cables without venturing into very expensive territory...also very good quality.
    The centre cable can be shorter without any ill-effects sound wise.

29. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Phew!!! anyone else read this? Don't people have better things to do ;) ?

Is there no easier method? Like just putting connectors on the end, or plugging it straight into the speaker?

Or am I missing something here... just how much cheaper is this stuff for the quality you get? Always interested in a bargain.

Chris

30. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I looked at the Cat5, I don't think I'll be doing that. Can someone recommend some decent yet not too expensive speaker cable? Probably looking at around 30m. Thanks