what sound system to buy with £1000

LDog

Standard Member
Reaction score
ok ive got a LG INFINIA 60PK950 60" TV and im also going to be buying a optoma gt750xl which im gona be testing for screen size but should be around 100" to 120" now my question is what sound system could i buy im a heavy gamer first and film watcher second so main sound is going to be used for htpc pc/console gaming and sports tv £1000 is kinda my top end i will be happy with second hand if it means i can get better gear and the films i tend to watch have lost of explosions as im more of an action fan altho the wife will be watching her chick flix on it the room im using has not been set up yet but it looks like ill be using the 9 feet wall for the tv and projector screen but if thats bad for sound i can move around.

thanks in advance for any info/advice

I'd probably base a system on the Onkyo NR616 and start from there.

What kind of speakers do you like the look of - traditional floorstanders or satellites?

im a fan of traditional floorstanders with a wood effect or grey or white no a fan of black ones also the Onkyo NR616 would be like half my budget gone would that be a good idea? will i still be able to buy good speakers base box etc?

Last edited:
If you went with floorstanders you would need to increase the budget. Ironically the pic you linked to is the old Tannoy Mercury range. The latest range cost around £270 for front floorstanders, £105 for centre and £100 for rear bookshelf speakers. (prices taken from Peter Tyson)

I owned the old range and they were cracking speakers that punched well above their weight (price).

That would leave you with enough for a good quality receiver and cables but not a subwoofer. As the floorstanders will go down lower than standard bookshelf speakers, you could forgo the subwoofer until funds permit. I would definitely add a sub but you would have a better overall system this way.

if i got the Tannoy Mercury second hand what would be a good sub to go with em?

LDog said:
if i got the Tannoy Mercury second hand what would be a good sub to go with em?

Try the subs forum but the most commonly recommend subs are BK. Anything with anything less than a 10" driver isn't a sub IMO.

im a fan of traditional floorstanders with a wood effect or grey or white no a fan of black ones also the Onkyo NR616 would be like half my budget gone would that be a good idea? will i still be able to buy good speakers base box etc?

The NR616 is an example based on the requirement for explosions etc. Using the 60:40 / 70:30 general split between speakers and amp you would have around £600-£700 on speakers and £300 - £400 on the amp.

£600- £700 is not going to get you a great floorstanding system though. Something based on the Q Acoustics 2050i paired with the Onkyo NR414 would work.

Monitor Audio BX5's would be a great system but you are likely to be £200-£300 over budget.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom