1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What sound system a cinema uses?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by contactadam2002, Jan 16, 2005.

1. contactadam2002

contactadam2002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If any of you people think u know a lot then here is a challenging question.Having been to UCI cinema many times and being very impressed with the sound as always (can any home cinema systems ever beat it I ask) I would really like to know what sort of speakers they use there.I have searched endlessly over all search engines and found nothing. All I have to go on is that they use a sound screen and speakers with horn drivers + power amps...anyone else perhaps care to fill in any blanks? Thanks

2. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    ...just go ask a Cinema Manager...

Most will happily show you around (or rather delegate someone to show you around).

I have been around 6-7 cinema's over the years... if you dont ask...

If you are there when several screens are showing the same film concurrently that IS something to see!!!

The projection room in most multiplexes is quite something...

You will be astounded to see one projectionist running 9-10 screens on his own!

D

3. contactadam2002

contactadam2002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a feeling thats what someone was going to say as I did consider it myself..but I just felt kind of awkward asking that question...but I may take myself up on it. BUT HAS ANYONE EVER CAME CLOSE TO BEATING THAT SOUND????

4. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They'll have the sound pickups on the projector (usually one for the old analogue soundtrack and one for the dolby digital track) connected to a dedicated dolby cinema processor like a CP500. This'll then be run into poweramps which drive the 3 front speaker, the sub and the 2 sets of surrounds. I used to staff a students union cinema which had a lovely 5.1 system.

Definitely worth taking a look. Cinema projectors and equipment are glorious :D

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Quite a few of us here have sound systems that would comfortably outperform a cinema system.

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Well to be honest i dont rate alot of the cinemas audio sound, my home cinema system to my ears sounds alot better but then it is a much smaller space to fill with sound,Have you listened to a good home cinema system at near reference level,I dont think iam alone in thinking this.
    Cheers Gonzo.

7. contactadam2002

contactadam2002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow thats helpful...so do you have any idea what specific sound processing equipment that they use..I found JBL's professional cinema speakers..they look good..god wud love to have some of them...too bad the largest is 2.8m. http://www.jblpro.com/pages/cinema/5000.htm#5671

8. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Last time we went to the cinema both myself and my wife commented on how poor the sound was. Big and booming and very harsh.....
    How sad. :rolleyes:

9. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I thought i would take a trip to the Odeon in Leicester Sq. Must have been 6/7 years ago. It was just after a £3.5m makeover & i went to see Armageddon. The picture quality on such a large screen was utterly fantastic but the sound(i thought) was a bit OTT,very loud but & fatigueing,although being a daytime matinee in the middle of the week ,the theater was almost empty.Maybe with a full crowd:the sound would soften down.I would love to have seen the new "Blade" movie there...has anyone been lately?They have probably improved it again since i went.

Dan :)

10. contactadam2002

contactadam2002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    UCI by far has the best sound though comapred to Odeon.

11. greg_SA

greg_SA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have never been impressed by the sound at a cinema... That's why I seldom go to them... Not sure about the UK, but here in South Africa, they are seldom setup well. :mad:

12. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I have only been impressed with ONE cinema sound setup, and that was the main screen at the Empire Cinema in Leicester Square, that sound setup is awesome, and well worth the £10 ticket price!! Everywhere else, my humble system at home sounds much better, granted, it is a much smaller space to fill, but the quality of sound outperforms any cinema I've heard, bar the main Empire screen.

13. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Greg as a South African living in the UK I can tell you it' not much different. Apart from some of the bigger UGC's like the one at West India Quey that's supports the better sound formats.

14. contactadam2002

contactadam2002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But there is no way that anyone can relate poor sound to UCI. The sound is about as open as it can get with the centre channel being the best I have heard. I have gone to loads of hi-fi shows and even the best equipment around doesn't sound as good. Now that I have found out what speakers they use I would love to know what amplification they have to power the speakers and buy one some time.

15. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    One of the other major considerations is that on a home cinema you can set up the system for 1 or 2 seating positions where as a professional cinema you do not have an option of doing this as you will on a busy day have people sitting almost wall to wall.

There are 2 'solutions' to this - either make it so everyone gets an OK experience or set it up such that a small group in the ideal seats get a great experience and everyone elses is fairly poor.

At the end of the day I think the cinema and home movies are 2 very different experiences and not something you can directly compare - you should (budget allowing) be able to get a better picture and sound set up at home but few of us can get a screen the size of a cinema's or recreate the atmostsphere of all those people being engaged by the same film. To me there are certainly films that are best watched on your own system and others where the giant screen will always feel better even if the individual components aren't as good.

Of cause the fact I almost always end up with drinks or a meal out after the cinema rather than having to cook/clean up has nothing to do with it

16. contactadam2002

contactadam2002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well that reamins to be justified as some home cinema setups have been made to look like a cinema inside i.e the ones that you will see pulling the best home cinema setup awards.

17. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    The uci i go to sounds crap compared to my system which i consider low buget, people at work think i'm mad when i say my system at home sounds better.

18. Clarkey

Clarkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont rate the sound system at my local UGC, in fact its dreadful, my student budget 5.1 ystem in my room sounds much better to me, will be a while till I can afford a projector for the big screen experience too :(

19. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I have noticed on a number of movies that I have seen in the cinema that the sound can variy quite a bit during the movie!
    It will start of quite well, then a muffeld click of some kind when the next reel of film is joined and then the sound will go from say dolby digital to almost a mono sound. I have noticed this in UCI cinemas and VUE cinemas. I have complained to people( Not ranted and raved you understand, just pointing out the problem,) but not alot seems to be done with the staff not actually seeming all that interested.
    Considering the price of the cinema theses days days, and unless its a movie I am desperate to see, I will usallly wait for the dvd and watch it at home on my system, where I can adjust the sound to my tastes and mood and watch it at the time convient for me.

20. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +228
    There has been many occassions where I have been underwhelmed by both audio and video performance of a movie (both here in Oz and back in my home, Ireland) in the local megaplex.
    On a related topic, one of the most popular speaker companies who have installed their professional speakers into over 2700 cinemas around the world is Krix Loudspeakers, who hail from Adelaide, South Australia. Not bad for a "small" company.

www.krix.com.au

21. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My local UGC cinema has crap sound. I saw three films over a months period which happened to be on the same screen. And every time the sound got to a certain level or frequency the front left drive unit was making an awful sound as the drive unit was clearly knackered. After telling them after every film i saw they would just give a look as if they did not care. So i aint been back since as i refuse to pay £6 quid to see i film i probably will not enjoy due to bad sound

22. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    UGC have awful sound setups.

The best Warner (now VUE) I went to was the one in Leicester Square, but only its main screen has decent sound.

I stand by my earlier statement, Empire rocks!! It is a UCI cinema, but it is also head and shoulders above any other UCI or other cinema I've been to, and probably the only cinema I really look forward to go to watch a movie at.

23. Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142