1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Sound setup should I buy ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GlasgowGary, Jan 1, 2003.

1. GlasgowGary

GlasgowGary
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I'm in the process of aquiring a Sony HS10 projector and need some advice as to which Amp and Speakers to buy. I would like to be able to connect all devices to the one sound source so that no matter what I'm doing(e.g DVD,TV,pc game) I always get the same quality of sound.

I have decided that I should spend the following:

Amp: £500
    Subwoofer:£500
    Speakers:£1000

now thinking about getting B&W's

Front Speakers
    Model DM602 S3 @£150 x 2
    Centre Speaker
    Model LCR60 S3 @£200
    SubWoofer
    Model ASW 650 @£500
    Rear Speakers
    Model DM602 S3 @£150 x 2

Is this a well balanced setup, or should I go for 2x603's at the front?

Any advice/information/suggestions/opinions are as always, greatly appreciated.

Gary

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Well ...

My current setup has B&W 602S2 at the front with 3x B&W 601S2 at the rear and a B&W LCR60 S3 for centre.

I find this very well balanced.

Weather you need 603s at the front really depends on your room (size, etc).

Personally I would stay away from 602.5s as I've found 602s on good stands perform much better.

Also it would be worth auditioning subs from other manufacturers as well as the B&W one.

Victoria

3. GlasgowGary

GlasgowGary
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx Soundog for taking time to reply, I'm totally new to the whole home cinema game and have basically opted for my chosen equiment based on reading tons of threads on this forum. I've still not ordered anything yet, still researching all the options and will probably pop in for some demo's of various amp's/woofers in action before deciding. I just wanted some feedback on the type and setup of the speakers to be sure it would be well balanced in a room 18ft X 13ft.

Does anyone know any good retailers for B&W speakers/amp's/woofers in the Glasgow area?

Any advice would, as always, be greatly appreciated.

Gary

4. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Gary

I run 603 S2 front and back, LCR6 S2 centre and Rel Strata II sub in a room 15 x 14 feet and can recommend the B & W 600 range as being excellent. Listened to 603 S3 last week and they were very very good for both movies and music IMO.

If your budget is fixed and you don't intend to go to 7.1 then I would go for 602 and subwoofer, but if you intend to upgrade gradually I would go for 603 and add subwoofer later. If you get 603 I would go for the LCR600 as the centre if you can.

It also depends what DVD / CD you have or intend to get and how much music as well as movies you listen to. Amp wise I would look at Denon 3802, Pioneer 1011 and also the Arcam AVR100 and 200 (only 5.1 but very good with music - 200 has dolby prologic 2).

Try Hi FI Corner 145 Bath Street and Stereo Stereo 260 St. Vincent Street. Sevenoaks should have as well.

Remember to budget for stands and cables (general recommendation is 10% of budget on the cables).

Hope this helps.

Gus

5. GlasgowGary

GlasgowGary
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx Gus for your response, It's a great help.

I have decided I should go with 603's at the front and will have to stick with the 602's at the rear as I really don't have the option of floor-standing ones (kids) :(

The 7.1 will be a definite consideration in the future, so I'll assume I should go for an amp that supports 7.1 to future proof my purchase.
    Could you also tell me what speaker wire I should go for (up to £250 budget) and recommmend a good S-Video connection, and any other connections I may need for that matter. I'd rather pay for reasonable/good quality first time round rather than have to upgrade sometime in the near future.
    I do listen to a lot of music/DVD concerts and watch DVD movies (mostly). I currently have a JVC XV 522 DVD player which is fairly old, but is great for playing VCD/SVCD's which I find a lot of DVD player's wont play and is not bad at playing DVD's to. I'll have to upgrade the DVD player in the near future to as it will soon be the weakest link.

Thx :)
    Gary

6. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Gary

Good choice with the 603 S3's, spent a lot of time auditioning speakers a while ago before going for the 603 S2's.

The two leading 7.1 amps at the moment for reasonable money seem to be the Pioneer VSX-D2011 (£7-800) and Denon 3802 (£6-700). The Denon is due for replacement in a couple of months with the 3803 (£900) so I would go for the Pioneer myself. Also worth considering is the Sony STR-VA555ES (£800ish), this is 6.1 but as the extra surrounds output the same signal this may not worry you. I have seen the Pioneer D1011 going for £530 from an Internet reseller, this is basically the 2011 without automatic room calibration via microphone and would also be high on my list.

Speaker cables from Supra, QED and Cable Talk have all served me well in the past. Go for 3 equal lengths for front left, centre and right - bi-wire types (2 plugs at amp end - 4 at speaker - 2 for treble, 2 for bass) and 2 equal lengths of single wire for the rears. Stick with the same company for all speaker wire.

Supra Quattro 4x4 and 4x4T Bi-Wire £6-8 per metre

Cable Talk 3.1 and 4.1 Bi-Wire £5-9 per metre

QED Silver Anniversary Bi-Wire £9 per metre

Supra 4.0T Single £4 per metre

QED Silver Anniversary Single £5 per metre

Cable Talk 4.1 Single £4.50 per metre

Plugs for terminating £1-5 each for branded, £5 for pack of 4 standard type.

A good dealer will make these up with appropriate banana plugs at the speaker end and depending on the amp will leave them bare, use spades or bananas. I do my own as it is straightforward with most plugs you buy, some need soldering in which case I use silver solder but most plugs use little grub screws or screw on sheaths. I have used Monster, Michell, QED and WBT in the past to name a few - have a look round the dealers accessories area for an idea what is available.

From DVD to Amp use a coaxial phono to phono cable in preference to an optical toslink if possible. Consider IXOS 105 at £30 and DNM DIGS100 at £20 for coax and QED Qunex OM at £25 for toslink optical.

DVD players - consider if you want Region 1, SACD, DVDA, Prog Scan, good CD replay etc.

Standout players at the moment seem to be Pioneer 656A, 757Ai, Denon 2800 Mk2 and Arcam DV88plus.

S Video lead of choice for me is Van Damme Red - before that I used IXOS and Monster. Depending on DVD and display device, RGB scart may give you a better picture than S Video - QED Sqart, Insert Audio and Supra £20-40, not all scart leads are fully wired like these.

If you need to connect other items to the amp and don't want to spend a lot on phono cables, Puresonic doe some nice ones arond £10 - the 5050A.

Ask if you have any more queries - happy to try and help.

Gus

7. GlasgowGary

GlasgowGary
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much Gus for taking the time to give me such exceptionally detailed and easy to understand advice (just what I needed).

You have answered so many questions for me, it will be a great guide when I do finally hit the shops (hopefully sometime today). The Pioneer D1011 sounds a very good choice, I'll make enquiries on that one for sure.
    So a BIG thanx for your help on the following:

Amp
    Speakers & Cabling
    DVD-player & spec & connection type
    etc
    etc
    etc

Gary :) :) :)