What sound setup are people using for playing their PS5 and why?

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
Hello all,

I thought it would be interesting to have a thread where people can discuss what sound setup they have, why they have it that way and people can share any tips regarding settings etc. to help people optmise their PS5 gaming experience.

I'll start. I have a Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless headset. I have it updated to the latest firmware so it does have a PS5 mode on it. The PS5 mode means that the Arctis transmitter unit receives all audio, i.e. game and chat audio, from the PS5 system through just one USB cable. When using the headset like this, the DTS Headphone:X 2.0 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound option should be turned OFF on the transmitter and 3D Audio should be ON in the PS5 sound settings, along with Output to headphones set to 'All audio'. Note that this mode is only advised to be used for games which actually have a 3D Audio implementation (see here although I don't know if this article will be continually updated => PS5 3D Audio Games: Which Games Use Tempest 3D Audio on PS5? ).

The alternative way to make use of the the Arctis Pro Wireless (and this is also applicable to many other headsets which use a transmitter or something like an Astro Mixamp and require a 5.1 Dolby Digital digital optical audio input signal), is to use the transmitter in PS4 mode. Use a HDMI to Digital Optical Audio extractor, something like this one I bought and use => Amazon product . Set the sound output on the PS5 to HDMI. Change HDMI device type to Audio Visual Receiver. Set the number of channels to be 5.1. Ensure that the Output to headphones setting is still All audio, even though it should be greyed out. Set audio format to Bitstream Dolby. On the audio extractor, set the switch to 5.1. On the transmitter ensure that the DTS Headphone:X 2.0 7.1 VIrtual Surround Sound is turned ON. Note that in this setup, the chatmix function built into the transmitter doesn't work, all it does is increase or decrease the overall volume of the contents. If you want to adjust the balance between game and party audio, you have to double press the Playstation button on the controller and on the party screen pop-up menu card you can adjust the audio balance be pressing X on the appropriate button and the adjusting left and right between game and voice audio.

I haven't actually tried out the 3D Audio from the PS5 iteself yet. I will do a comparion on a few different games perhaps this weekend. I am so far though very happy with the audio as I have it setup at the moment becasue it is the same way I used (and continue to use) the headset with my PS4 Pro.

Note that I also often use this headset to watch TV shows and films with virtual surround sound using the digital optical audio signal from the TV to the transmitter. The Arctis Pro Wireless also has Bluetooth as well and so it can be used with other devices either separately or at the same time e.g. mobile phones and computers/tablets etc.

What do other people use? TV speakers? AVR setup? Soundbar setup? Has anyone ever not tried using headphones for more immersion etc? I think this can be a really interesting and helpful topic of discussion. I look forward to hearing about other people's setups :) .

mudshark

Distinguished Member
Sonos Arc, sub and rears.

rb5201

New sonos beam gen 2 when delivered.
Currently either just from TV or head set, either steel series arctic 7p or phillips xr headset.

Tall_Paul

Distinguished Member
Audeze Penrose wireless planar magnetic headset.

Sounds immense.

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
Steelseries Arctis 7P for FPS’

Standard TV speakers for any other games
Out of interest, why do you not bother with the excellent earphones you have for any other games than FPS? You're missing out on a lot...

PS55SPGH

Out of interest, why do you not bother with the excellent earphones you have for any other games than FPS? You're missing out on a lot...
To be honest, the only other games I play are sports or racing games so don’t really feel the need to use them.

Pretty sure I have titinus too so the less I use the headset, the better

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
To be honest, the only other games I play are sports or racing games so don’t really feel the need to use them.

Pretty sure I have titinus too so the less I use the headset, the better
Is that like, sore breasts?

Seriously, if you have tinnitus I feel for you :(

Tolq

Distinguished Member
I use my main system for single player games, and for multiplayer, I plug an old pair of Sennheiser HD595's into the controller and attach a wireless modmic.

Works wonderfully, and I much prefer the sound and comfort of open backed headphones to any "gaming headset" I've tried. :smashin:

PS55SPGH

Is that like, sore breasts?

Seriously, if you have tinnitus I feel for you :(
Haha! Yeah that’s the one.

It’s not too bad, only really notice the ringing when I’m in bed; all my own doing, playing Warzone at stupid volumes through the headset.

Ironic.

SmilerFTM

HDMI into my Denon AVR-X1600H receiver which then hooks up to my 5.1 Q Acoustic speakers. Never use headphones or earphones apart from when the PSVR is being used and then it's either the earphones that came with it or sometimes my 13/14 year old Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 open back headphones which are brilliant.

That wasn't entirely true, I've been using my headphones above wired to my controller on a morning if my wife's been on night shifts as well. Great way to play and not disturb her although not as good as my proper surround sound

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom