1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Sound Card

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by jameson_uk, Sep 8, 2005.

1. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    My HTPC rig is currently plugged into my Denon 2803 receiver via an optical cable from the onboard NForce sound. I was thinking about getting a new soundcard but am not sure what to go for.

Am I right in thinking that as I am just passing everything out digitally anyway that the new soundblaster x-fi would be no better than an older Audigy ??

Could I even just get a Soundblaster Live (does this have a coax digital out)???

2. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I use the coax out on my NForce 4 board, having previously used an Audigy 2 ZS. I have noticed no weaknesses from the onboard sound in comparision to the Audigy 2.

None of the soundblasters have coaxial out on the card but you can use a coax through an RCA to Mini-jack connector.

3. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    For some reason I have always had something against optical connections and preferred coax. I have the problem that the optical socket on my NForce2 mobo is not very secure and the cable wont stay in which is a pain. Not really a biggy but has annoyed me enough to consider a new card :)

4. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
  5. phunkey_monkeh

phunkey_monkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the Trust card 514dx.
    Complete Rubbish, ive ended up changing it for a HDA digital 7.1.

The Trust card wouldnt give me 5.1 in MCE, only Windows. I put the HDA in today and 5.1 in MCE instantly.

It has Optical Out, and Coax out. £58 from overclockers.

6. typing00

typing00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm ... it has been a while since I researched it, but if you are into music, you will need a sound card which passes bit perfect digital out. Personally I use the M-audio Audiophile 24/96 with Winamp ASIO plug-in, which is a 70% to 100% improvement on Soundblaster Audigy 2.

AFAIK, nforce sound card cannot pass bit perfect digital out, but it has been one year since I researched into this.