1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What sound card?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by chedmaster, Jul 9, 2005.

1. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I'm turning my media center based pc in to the htpc it deserves to be, but on a very very tight budget, as its a luxury rather than a necessity atm!

As of now I am backing lots of films onto an 80 gig HD (won't last long!!!), in preparation. I plan to connect using s-video for the time being, and eventually buy another 9800pro (i sold mine without realising it did component :( )

What I need is a Sound card which has a standard RCA Coaxial Digital output, or an adapter supplied with it to make it in to one as I can't be bothered with more adapters meaning more postage (probably from America!) etc.

Obviously it has to pass out Dolby Digital, and preferably DTS but I don't know what the state of play is here.

I don't need analogue outputs but realise they will probably be inevitable.

Does such a thing exist without paying over £20 second hand? Ebay or anywhere?

Thanks Guys

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As it will be digital passthrough you only need something like an SB Live! which you should get for less than a tenner.

A step up would be an Audigy mark one. You get the addition of a firewaire port which may, or may not be useful. These are less than twenty quid.

They both need a mini jack to phono converter to connect to your amp. I've had both and they work well.

Dave

3. Son of Shaft

Son of Shaft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What card do you have now? Maybe there are extension brackets for it with the connections you want.

4. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    ill look for an sb live!, atm the pc just has integrated stereo sound, built into motherboard. thanks for the replies

5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    will this work, just to output DD/DTS?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3701&item=5218538780&rd=1
    it has standard RCA spdif output. If anyone would be so kind as to find an ebay sourced one and tell me what adapter i need it would be much appreciated, theres so many!!!

they all seem to have a 3.5mm connection for spdif? id love to just plug one in and chuck a coaxial digital cable at it!

6. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I think for an adaptor you just need a phono to mono-mini-jack which Maplin or similar should do?

That card looks as though it probably uses C-Media chipsets from the website so should be ok?

7. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    thanks, ive found a sb live going for around a fiver, and have ordered a mono 3.5mm to phono from maplins.

8. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28