1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What sound card? M-Audio Revolution 7.1, Fortissimo3 7.1 or SonicXplosion 5.1?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by scottxxx, May 12, 2003.

?
  1. M-Audio Revolution 7.1

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. PureDigital Sonic Xplosion 5.1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Some other (god forbid, not an Audigy)

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. scottxxx

scottxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

After a new sound card, but can't decide which one to go for. I've found 3 possibilities but am stuck as to which to get.

M-Audio Revolution 7.1: £81
    Pros:
    Better than SB Audigy2
    Professional Quality
    Excellent movie/sound performance
    192KHz/24Bit

Cons:
    Expensive (although cheaper than Audigy2)
    Uncertain of games performance
    No Optical Out

Hercules Fortissimo 3 7.1: ~£45
    Pros:
    Cheap
    Reasonable games performance

Cons:
    Driver issues
    Unsure of general performance

SonicXplosion 5.1: £46
    Pros:
    Cheap
    Follows on from SonicFury

Cons:
    Driver Issues (like SonicFury)??

The sound card is going to be connected to my receiver so I'm not really bothered about decoding, so long as it can pass through the SPDIF (optical or coax, my receiver has both) AND will play DTS/DD5.1 as the C-Media card I just bought has some licencing restrictions where it will only play 2 channel digital out.

The main use will be MP3s, Ogg, and DivX as well as a fair share of games. I'm not too worried about DVD-A, SACD or DVD facilities as I'm planning on getting a standalone DVD/DVD-A/SACD/DivX/XVid/SCVD Player.

Has anyone got any experience using any of these cards? I know the old SonicFurys were pretty good, but drivers were poor, where the Hercules and M-Audio drivers seem quite good.

I think all 3 will do the job, but want the best general purpose for the best price basically, without lacking anything.

Using XP Pro SP1 btw if it matters.

--Scott

2. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have been using a M-Audio Revo since February. WinXP SP1 as well. No problems at all, rock solid, and works fine for me for the one game I play (COunterstrike). That's with all the "surround" options enabled.
    Can't reccomend it enough.

3. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I, too, have the revo with XP Pro SP1. My one and only reservation is the sound delay on live TV, which someone who appears more knowledgable than I on soundcards disappointingly attributes to the hardware rather than the drivers; otherwise, I'm very happy with it, and I don't notice the lip-synch problem anymore, I just don't look at the lips........

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    If you are just using digital output use buy the Fort 3 or Sonic Xplosion, both work very well with apart from the need to restart your machine to switch between 2 channel PCM output and AC3 with the Fort 3.

I have a Rev 7.1 as well but due to its problems I'm running a Sonic Fury in the same machine and switch between them.

Until they sort out the driver problems I can't recommend it as a complete solution. For that I would go for an Audigy 2. It is the only one of the cards you have mentioned that I don't own but from the many users I've talk to it is a great card. (Did I just say that about a creative product? :eek: )

5. kcw

kcw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Scan have got the M-Audio for £66 inc vat on their today only offers.

6. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If this is a tech forum you may have receoved sligtly different answers. Check www.overclockers.co.uk for Revo for about £70. The best value-for-money hi-fi piece of equipment ever to come out.

You did not say what A/V receiver you are using. most likely Revo is of hgher quality, sound wise.

7. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I agree with Branxx - the analogue output of the Revo is likely to be better than any sub<£500 receiver.

I would still take the Audigy 2 if gaming performance/surround audio support is important to you though. I've gone from A1=>A2=>Revo in the past year - the Revo sounds great but is by no means bug-free. Although the drivers are light-years ahead of Creative's in terms of functionality, once you use the two cards with a decent software player and SSRC, the difference in terms of analogue output quality between the two really isn't *that* great (although the Revo most certainly has the edge).

If you have a decent receiver then get the A2. If you want to use your PC as a processor then get the Revo - just my opinion. :)

MuFu.

8. scottxxx

scottxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Decided to go with the Scan deal of the day as its the best price I've seen on the Revo 7.1. Decided to go with it because the main use will be music, followed by games. Only planning on using the digital out, but the fact that its 24bit 192khz over 16bit 48khz means it can support DTS and DVD-Audio if I decide to use my PC for it, with better results than the other cards.

My receiver is an Aiwa AV-D58 80WPC which does a nice job for its £150 price tag. Fronts are B&W DM110's (picked up for £6 :) ), Celestion centre and JPW surrounds. Also got a Harmon/Kardon sub, but its 110V and I need a US plug to connect it to a step down transformer.

Should be getting the card in a day or two anyway, looking forward. Thanks for all your help, I'll let you know how it goes.

9. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There was talk when the revo came out of a DVD-A player for it; anyone know if it arrived, or is still planned to arrive?

10. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The last I heard (which was a while back now) was that the hold-up was due to licensing or something with the DVD-A powers that be. You have to wonder if creative managed to wangle some exclusive thing or something. Seriously hope not, as teh revo is a much better quality card for the likes of DVD-A, IMO it's wasted on the audigy! Hmm, seem to be ranting. Time to stop!

I'd be interested to know if there's been any progress.

11. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    What av kit will it hook up to?