1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What sort of TT/Amp/Speaker system will £1500 buy

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by KoThreads, Jan 31, 2005.

1. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I'm after a new TT system to play 542, yes I counted them, sad or what, albums that have been in my loft for 20 years and are still in the same condition as when they were put up there.

Budget is around £1500

2. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would try a all Rega system,P5 TT,Mira 3 amp,with R3 speakers,will be very good for the money.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    If you're looking for relative bargains in the turntable area,some of the older Thorens decks are also well worth a look and very good when fitted with a decent arm...things like the TD165 and similar for instance.

4. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Cheers

Didn't the TD160 used to get rave reviews as well?

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Did you look at the Xerxes on Ebay ??

As for the rest of the system, dont worry about it, get the front end sorted and use your existing amp and speakers. Then its down to the usual, auditioning different amps. I would suggest a s/hand Naim 72/140 pre/power for around £500-600, the Naim pre amp usually comes with decent phono boards fitted but check. Speakers ? Im not going down that road its to individual, but if you have spent the best part of £1200, your only left with around £300 for speakers/cable/stands.

6. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Yes I did (now at £670 with 2 days left) it looks very good, but I worry about second hand gear because you don't know what it's been through. Although if I had a quality TT like that I would have looked after it like a gold bar. I intend to hear a X tomorrow but I doubt I'll be able to go that far. I've wondered about Naim amps before but never heard any. This could be the start of a long slippery slope. :)

7. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    £1500 for me would go thus :

Clear Audio Emotion - £650 New
    Rega P5 - £600 New
    LP12 - £600 second hand
    Unison Research Uncio with phono – 600 second hand
    Sugden A21a with phono stage - £600 second hand
    Graham Slee Gram 2 Phono £100 ish second hand
    Castle Durhams - £250
    Quad 12s – 300

Then add a subwoofer down the line.

Very nice analoguey based system with a taste of valve like amplification.

8. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    One of the amps that I have always wanted to demo, Ive never heard one. I did have the A41 pre power or a while, but it was too warm and cuddly for me, but it was nicely detailed, but just a bit too smooth and a bitwooly in the bass. Sounded a bit like my old A60 but more refined.

How does the A21 compare ?

9. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,588
    We had one on loan to help with Performance voicing and it was the best amp I heard in 2004. Once it was up to (hotplate level) temperature it was detailed without being harsh, with a fabulous soundstage and suprising urge given the rated figures. Part of me wants to hear the A21SE (which unusually for a Sugden product even looks beautiful as well) but I know that I would be living on tinned food for ever if I did.

I'd have a great amp though :).

10. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Of course you correct to worry, but the SME IV is built like a battleship and looking at the pictures its been well looked after. If it was me I would'nt hesitate, you can always go and view it before handing over the cash (I do that if the price warrants it). I would think that it will probably get more than the £670, but at that price its a great buy.

If your interested in Naim, then I can only advise about the older designs, I have heard the newer models and apart from the top of the range NAP500 which sounds amazing I dont rate the newer range. Maybe that means that Naim are now building a less flat earth amplifier, but I prefer the sound of the older one.

Never ever listen to a Naim amp thats been switched on for a couple of hours (this is typical of demo rooms) as they sound awful unless powered for at least a day.

They sound dry and very rythmic, instantly get you feet tapping and are brilliant with any form of music, particularly rock. They are powerful with tremendous slam and attack and can drive difficult speakers. They are built like tanks and Naim treat them like their own children (bit like quad used to). They have quirky Din plugs for connection, which is a bit of a bother as you need to buy phono to din converters or made up leads (all easily available).

The smaller intergrated like the Nait 3 is a bit short on ultimate power, the NAP90/92 pre/power isnt really a great deal better, but the 72/140 is a beauty (some say its their best offering). I currently use a 72 with a couple of 135 mono blocks and its doubtful that I will consider upgrading the pre amp. I actually have a spare 140 from the upgrade and compared to the 135s, I cant say that the 140 is really out classed. (No, Im not selling the 140, just in case you wondered. I did promise my wife I would ebay it, but I just cant and I might just use it for powering the HF part of the speakers if I can sort the wiring).

In essence the sound of the amps is very individual and its a sound you like or hate. If your a traditional valve head and are more interested in female vocals and the exact sound of a vintage violin than the driving beat of a rock band, then they might not suit your temprament.

The X and the Naim make a fearsome combination that works really well.

11. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Tons then you should hear the Sugden Masterclass Integrated (30W Class A) and the Masterclass CDP going full tilt, the best sound Ive ever heard from a same make pairing, and yes 30W deafeningly loud. Into Proac 0.5 Futures with a ribbon tweeter .... sweet as they come.