• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What sort of spikes for Mission M73 speakers?

KRW

I've never been keen on the idea of floorstanders but I've been given a pair of Mission M73i speakers so am trying them out.

Only think is, no spikes were included so they're just sort of sitting there on the carpet. There are many different types of spike on ebay, but does anyone know what sort of size I'd be needing for these speakers?

I've narrowed it down to M6 or M8, I think. Anyone know?

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Go buy a standard M6 and M8 screw/bolt, try them out and see which one fits. That will probably cost you all of £2 if you don't count gasoline to drive there.

Next you will have seen two types of spikes. One very narrow and pointed, the other a more broad Cone shape. Which you choose depends on your floors or your carpet. The narrow spike dig down deeper in thick carpet. The cones works better in thinner carpet or rugs.

It seems you have carpet, so long narrow spikes are probably appropriate, but for wood or other hard floors, it is probably better to use rubber or vinyl feet rather than spikes.

Here is a tip for moving Floorstanding speakers. When I first got mine, I needed to move them so I gave them a gentle bear-hug and lifted them, in doing so, I broke several of the plastic pins that hold the grills on.

So, I figure out the simplest low stress for me and low stress for the speaker means of moving the speaker was to tilt it back and put your FOOT under the speaker (must have shoes on), then tilt it forward up onto your foot, steadying the speaker with your hands, walk the speaker to the new location. Works like a charm. Good for short or long moves when you are alone.

For what it's worth.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

enerlevel

Standard Member
Lol I had asked a similar question and for a sec I thought this was my thread ....

I have the mission m74 and like you, I don't have the spikes....
I ordered the m6 and its small for it. So I assume its the m8 ...

I cannot say 100% but if your spike hole is much bigger than the grille holding holes, then I assume its m8.

KRW

Thanks for the tips, I'm going to guess M8 and order some. I've no idea where to go any buy them from apart from Richer Sounds and there's not one near me. (Actually there's one near my work I've just remembered which might be handy).

Good tip on moving them.

enerlevel

Standard Member
Thanks for the tips, I'm going to guess M8 and order some. I've no idea where to go any buy them from apart from Richer Sounds and there's not one near me. (Actually there's one near my work I've just remembered which might be handy).

Good tip on moving them.

I got mine from eBay , 3 something for the spikes and 10 odd for the circle stuff which goes under the spike... Dunno the name

KRW

Lol I had asked a similar question and for a sec I thought this was my thread ....

I have the mission m74 and like you, I don't have the spikes....
I ordered the m6 and its small for it. So I assume its the m8 ...

I cannot say 100% but if your spike hole is much bigger than the grille holding holes, then I assume its m8.

Yeah, I noticed yours and that's what led me to think it's the M8 I need. If they turn out to be too big, we can swap :)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom