1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Software?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by thejudge, Jun 30, 2004.

1. thejudge

thejudge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone recommend a good novice DV editing suite/program?

I have a Sony DCR-HC14E and would like to achieve some good results without having to spend 3 days solid at my desktop.

Also when i download my footage to the computer the quality seems to be lacking some what. I'm downloading using USB 1.0......... could this be the problem? I'm going to upgrade...which is better USB 2.0 or firewire?

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Avoid USB 1.1 :thumbsdow

Firewire is the best way.

Not sure about usb 2.0 in terms of video transfer although i believe it's faster in data transfer speeds.

If you have large enough disk space (which really you should have for DV work) then capture to the DV AVI format which is lossless and better for editing.

I've just started using Ulead Video Studio 8.0 and highly recommended it. :smashin:

I 've tried the notorious Pinnacle 8 and 9 and both just endlessly crashed (typically!) and were dead slow :thumbsdow

If you want to do some serious stuff then you're talking three figure price for the like of Adobe Premiere and Vegas.

Problem is (Whichever software you use) you'll find you'll still spend endless days using as it as there is so much you can do.

Then there's DVD authoring if you ever get into that!

Good Luck

3. cruachan

cruachan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    I have the same camcorder and was hoping you could help me. I installed the camera but am unable to view anything on my pc using the software provided. I though it might be a usb problem so i bought a firewire card. Now i am able to select the camer in widows explorer and when i press play on the camera, i see my movie play on the pc but there is no option to copy it or transfer it to pc at all. Do you have any idea what i am doing wrong? when i use the sony software to view what is on the camera it is always just an empty screen. please help!

4. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Is there a quick was to get the video footage to the PC using the firewire. Ie not having to play the footage

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    If you have Windows XP then you alread have the software you need called Movie Maker. Get onto the MS web site and get the free upgrade to MM2.
    For details on useing it (its very easy and you may well be able to work it out for yourself but if not) www.papajohn.org

Then don't start video editing! It will take time and rendering the effects/wipes etc and then file conversion will all take a long time. Rendering a 1 hour piece with wipes/effects/titles etc on even the fastest PC's will take hours, not minutes.

USB (1.1 or 2.0) is not up to use for full quality video capture. USB2.0 is faster than firewire, but this is a peak speed and not constant. For capture you can only use firewire as this has a constant transfer rate.
    Even via firewire the footage will look poor on a PC monitor as they are just not designed for showing full quality video. Don't worry though as the quality is not lost, it just can't be displayed without a video monitor.

cruachan, use Movie Maker 2 as described above. This is the best cheap option. The supplied Sony software is for webcam & stills transfer only.

In a word - NO!
    As the video is recorded onto a tape then the only way to get it off the tape is to play it and the cam will only play the footage back in real time, so to capture 1 hour of footage will take 1 hour.

Mark.

6. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Cheers Mark and for the other answer on the other thread

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    :smashin: nice to be able to help!

Mark.

8. cruachan

cruachan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark, its working fine....just need a bit more practise and fiddling time!

9. steve_bassett

steve_bassett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am just starting out as well, but have had some success with Ulead's Video Studio 8 (be sure to download the patch) and capturing video through a firewire (E1194) card. You can get the software for under $80 at newegg.com. :thumbsup: