What small surround speakers to get?

Kantie

Standard Member
I just got my brand spanking new Hitachi plasma and want to compliment it with a new surround set.

Now i got it down to 3:

- Infinity Oreus
- Kef KHT-2005.2
- Pioneer S-VLF3-II

My favourite one would be the Pioneer, because i just love its looks.

I have never heard any of these in action.. but im not very picky and certainly not an expert.

Its 99% for movies. They are going in a 4 by 6 meter livingroom.

I would like your opinion on the Pioneer.. and compared to the others. I know the Oreus and the Kef eggs have proved themselves.

Thanks,

Robert

Br0ken

Distinguished Member
I saw the title of your post and knew what I was going to recommend but youve already got them in your list! Good stuff :)

Out of your 3 i'd go for the KEF's. But yes, i think the Pio's look v.sexual - but will they fit in with the rest of your room?

Kantie

Standard Member
viru.doshi said:
I saw the title of your post and knew what I was going to recommend but youve already got them in your list! Good stuff :)

Out of your 3 i'd go for the KEF's. But yes, i think the Pio's look v.sexual - but will they fit in with the rest of your room?

Im no expert, but i am good at browsing reviews :D

Thats the whole reason id like the Pioneers.. Because i think they will look so sexy next to my tv and i like the flat look.

But if somebody tells me the Kef's are twice my moneys worth... because here the kef set and pioneer are about the same price.

Robert

Kantie

Standard Member
rbartlett said:
have you looked at the Orbs?

http://www.orbaudio.com

Cheers

Richard

They look awesome...thats for sure. But ive been surfing for 20min but couldnt find any shop here where i can get them.

I could just order them, but last 2 times i bought electronics overseas i had to pay taxes. Customs sux.... i bought my Oppo dvd player for 200$ including shipping and had to pay an extra 65$ :(

But they look great...no doubt.

Robert

K

Kento

Kantie said:
They look awesome...thats for sure. But ive been surfing for 20min but couldnt find any shop here where i can get them.

I could just order them, but last 2 times i bought electronics overseas i had to pay taxes. Customs sux.... i bought my Oppo dvd player for 200$ including shipping and had to pay an extra 65$ :(

But they look great...no doubt.

Robert

I ordered a pair of Mod 1's in black gloss on the 18th and they have arrived in the UK after clearing customs on the evening of the 21st. I expect to receive them tomorrow or the next day. That is some service from the USA! The cost is $219 plus whatever the postage and customs charges will be. This will be charged on delivery. Now the postage is around $60 which makes a base price of $279 (£155 approx). If I am hit for customs etc then I generally find that you have to add 25/30% making a delivered cost of £200 or less. Sometimes you get away with customs but it's best to allow for it. Anyway £200 a pair for these delivered to your door within a week is a steal. I only want them to use as a stereo pair for my 42" panel and if they are half as good as the reviews suggest then I will be well pleased.: :thumbsup:

Regards,

Kent.

Kantie

Standard Member
I am kinda on a budget and dont want to spend more then £450-500. The whole cinema set alone will be over my budget.. And if you add shipping and possible taxes...ouch.

I think im just gonna go with sets that are available here. Im just still wondering if anyone heard the Pioneer vlf3 set and has a comparison.

Otherwise i would most likely will go with the KEF's. They are about £425 here just as the Pioneer's.

Ive found out the Mordaunt short Genie's are good to and i like the design. But they are to a little out my budget, around £550 like the Oreus set

But hey, if anyone has anymore suggestions that would be great. Im just looking for something good for movies, compact and nice design. Anything that doesnt resemble a speaker as much. No square woody stuff, my girlfriend will kill me ;-)

Robert

Toonaroond

Have you had a look at the Canton thread in this section?

They seem very popular and are of the type of design that you are looking for..

Kantie

Standard Member
Toonaroond said:
Have you had a look at the Canton thread in this section?

They seem very popular and are of the type of design that you are looking for..

I took a look, but the ones i can afford are a bit to conventional looking for me. The sets i liked were WAY out my budget...what else is new :) Thanks for the suggestion tho.

Robert

Kantie

Standard Member
Kento said:
I ordered a pair of Mod 1's in black gloss on the 18th and they have arrived in the UK after clearing customs on the evening of the 21st. I expect to receive them tomorrow or the next day. That is some service from the USA! The cost is $219 plus whatever the postage and customs charges will be. This will be charged on delivery. Now the postage is around $60 which makes a base price of $279 (£155 approx). If I am hit for customs etc then I generally find that you have to add 25/30% making a delivered cost of £200 or less. Sometimes you get away with customs but it's best to allow for it. Anyway £200 a pair for these delivered to your door within a week is a steal. I only want them to use as a stereo pair for my 42" panel and if they are half as good as the reviews suggest then I will be well pleased.: :thumbsup:

Regards,

Kent.

I did send them an email to day for some information.. about the shipping and such. They really look great and the reviews and awesome

Robert

H

hiflyer

i heard the KEFs against the Pioneers and the formers way outclassed the latter in the depth department.. though that may cease to be a big concern if you have a good sub pairing.. although the pioneers in my opinion were a tad difficult to integrate with the sub- the base seems very localised and dislocated from the pioneers..

if you are not that picky then the WAF may be a good way to decide ! :D

Kantie

Standard Member
hiflyer said:
i heard the KEFs against the Pioneers and the formers way outclassed the latter in the depth department.. though that may cease to be a big concern if you have a good sub pairing.. although the pioneers in my opinion were a tad difficult to integrate with the sub- the base seems very localised and dislocated from the pioneers..

if you are not that picky then the WAF may be a good way to decide ! :D

Sorry hiflyer, but im a total noob at AV talk :) Me as noob, would i notice a significant difference? I to want the best bang for the buck..

And all the sets i mentioned are in the WAF ;)

Robert

Kantie

Standard Member
rikmeister said:
did you look at the svs home theatre speakers

Yes i have, and im sure they didnt have the WAF. And they are to big/conventional for my taste to..

But all is solved...after a few emails from orbaudio i was convinced. I just ordered a set of speakers from them without woofer (to expensive with shipping). 5.1 Mod1 setup and 1 Mod2 of them as centre.

And ordered myself a mordaunt short 309 sub here in Holland.

Robert

F

Ferrabros

Hi kantie, was thinking of the same set, what can you say? still happy? how the fit with your sub?...are mod1 enough for fronts?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom