1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what sky box for the ae100e?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by woody183, May 21, 2002.

1. woody183

woody183

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another question i know... sorry.

Now that i have sorted my ae100e out(i think) i am thinking of upgrading my analogue cable box for sky digital.
    But once again i'm seeking advice on which to get.

Is it possible to get a digi box which has vga, component or s video outputs? Once again i appreciate any advice.( i've had some great advice in the past)

woody

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No Sky boxes have component or VGA outputs:(

You need a Grundig, with S-video out (the only "regular" digibox with this output), or a Sky+ box.

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Kramer

how do you find the pic quality from sky into your AE100, i find it pretty poor with composite, not as good as ITV digital.
    Hows yours connected.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tim,

I have a Grundig digibox with S-video out :)

Switch all S-video sources through Yamaha AV receiver (have S-video JVC video) & into PC using Pinnacle PCTV Rave card.

Through Dscaler onto PJ via VGA, in Wide 480.

Picture is excellent, far better than S-video connected directly to the AE-100.

I can see very bad compression/mpeg artifacts on some channels - Motors TV being the best example (Ch 416), but this is due to Sky's over use of this transponder.

All in all, I'm very happy with the final situation.

I have DVD in progressive VGA Wide 480, & possibly the best image available from Sky & other S-video sources :D :D

Took some pictures some time ago, again didn't come out well, but I'll post them anyway so you can have a look.

Later!

5. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    than there is only one product to select. The PACE Sky+ box. You will get sVHS but in addition you also get an RGB capable Scart Socket and that all mighty optical digital out socket.

I am using an Sanyo PLV-30 projector with a Scart to RGB (Component) cable into my AV-Amplifier which is than routed as an RGB signal via my lengthy (8m) Supra Component cables to my ceiling mounted Sanyo LCD projector. Great picture, though NOT progressive scan of-course.

Sound is full Dolby Digital as the optical output is being used. Please note that only very little content is being broadcasted in full DD5.1 so most of the time you will get Stereo or Pro-Logic.

Hope this helped. Oops I forgot to add the benefits of pausing live-TV and Hard Disk Recording (without PDC which is a pain...)

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

6. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ive been looking for a rgb scart to rgb component cable, where can you purchase these??

thanks
    john

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RGB scart to component is not possible without a converter of some kind- not sure if one is even available.

Maybe the Sanyo is RGB input capable, but the AE-100 is not :(

Your only choice is, as said B4, S-video.

8. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sanyo component inputs double (or should I say triple) up for various components.

1. Plain composite, but hey who wants to use it. Although I had to as the Xbox was only suplied with that connectivity. And no shops had any of the sVHS kits. At least they do online....
    2. RGB using the same cable as Component.
    3. Component.

I have had a cable made using Supra cable, is this correct English!?, which uses the Scart plug on one side and the three component plugs on the other (going into my AV-amp). Please note that this worked for me as I am using the optical audio output for the sound.

The company I used is: custom cable. They are not the cheapest but the turn-around is very quick and the finished product is quality.

I like the Supra cabling for video as the colour are really vibrant and the housing is white (which pleases my wife).

Cheers,

Jean-Paul de Jong