1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Size !!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by loonatic, Dec 13, 2003.

1. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have just sold my 30" LCD TV and am looking to get a good CRT as a replacement, but I had forgotton just how large large TVs are.

Thing is my room is only 10ft x 10ft.

The 30" LCD, which is the same as a 32" CRT was fine, could have been bigger, but of course it was only 6 inches thick.

So what size do you think would be best suited...32" or 36" ?

Obviously I would prefer a 36" but not if its going to be too over powering.

It will be a second TV mainly used for DVDs, Films via Sky+ and console action.

Also it will have to go up a flight of stairs...has anyone here carried a set upstairs - with a mate of course not on their own.

Cheers, Lee

2. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    i would have thought that 32" and 36" would be a bit overpowering in a 10' x 10' room, and that therefore a 28" would be more than ample - will also save you some money.

Good hunting.

3. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There,

My room is similar to yours about 12' x 8'. I have a 32" and it fits in nicely and doesn't overpower the room. I sit about 7'-8' away from the tv and this is fine. Altough I think from a viewing point of view I would like a bigger screen. Just don't have the space for it.

I think anything bigger may look a bit overpowering in the space I have.

If I could fit a 36"er in the corner of the living room I would have ! :devil:

4. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    Hi Loonatic,

I've had the Tosh 36ZP38 and now have the Panny 36PD30 and the style/design of these sets means that, at least face on, these sets look comparitively small(ish) and very tidy. If you're putting the set in a corner, even better.

However, carrying these sets around the house is a different story; do you know a few Schwarzenegger lookalikes? The 36PD30 weighs 82kg:eek: I do not envy anyone trying to get this up a flight of stairs:thumbsdow

Regards,

LAGAVULIN

5. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi Lagavulin,

Yeah I think that I'm going to have to reconsider getting a plasma.

CRTs are just too big and heavy and getting it upstairs might just be impossible. I can see it now...we would all be walking around this bloody great big TV stuck in the hallway with me on the phone trying to get it returned.

I also have the same DVD and AMP as you...how to you find the prog-scan playback on the PD30 ?

I am now trying to decide if I should go for the 42" or 50" plasma - it's mainly for films and not general TV viewing afterall.

Cheers, Lee

6. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    :laugh:

Hi Lee,

Small world, eh? I see you like Metallica? Me too:D

Anyway, yeah, the Prog. Scan playback on the PD30 (with some tweeking) is simply mouthwatering! See my post on the current "I love My PD30" thread...

Personally, I found when demoing CRT and plasmas, CRT's are way sharper and more defined, unless you're thinking of walloping £8000/10,000 on one:eek: (way out of my league:( )

Anyway, hope ya get a good 'un sorted.

Best regards,

LAGAVULIN