What size studs should i use?!?

nathsea

hi all,

This is probably a very easy question, but one i cannot get my head around.

I am fitting a set of french doors from Wickes, and the door lining kit is 135mm wide. Now i cannot work out what size studs i should use so as i end up with the plaster work sitting flush. I will be using 12.5mm plasterboard, which leaves me with 110mm width, should i leave 3mm each side for plaster or more.

I am sure there is a very easy answer to this, I just dont want to end up with wonky architrave.

Also, are there any other tips for building a stud wall or installing french doors, should i insulate the wall etc?

Many thanks
Nathan

m4ccam

Hi.
You will have to use 100mm stud or 4"x2" If using timber. The plasterer can then feather out the skim, not ideal but needs must. If you don't have the boards yet you could get 15mm soundbloc, these would be perfect.
Insulation is always good but not essential.

Andy

lockdown81

hi mate

are you gona use CLS timber ? if so im sure its 89mm x 38mm . i normaly tack one side with 12.5mm plasterboard and double tack the other side with 2 x 12.5 plasterboard then i skim both sides , CLS is cheap as and i find the best stuff to use for studing out , £3.20 odd a length . and id deffanatly insulaite in between

hope this helps :smashin:

ps im sure a 3" stud is suitible for a supporting wall aswel

Last edited:

lockdown81

i was guessing that you was talking about internal french doors that seperating 2 rooms :rolleyes:.........

when doing the side that has 2 layers of 12.5 put the 1st layer up but only stick a couple of 32mm drywall screws in just to keep it in place the put the 2nd layer of 12.5 up and srcew these fully with 50mm drywall screws, that way u wont hit any of the screws that you put in the 1st layer :thumbsup:
also 1st layer of 12.5 put the head (bit above the door) up 1st then the 2 sides, then on the 2nd layer put the head up but longer then the 1st head so it over laps the 2 sides you put up 1st (ceiling to top of door . wall to wall) then put the 2 sides in so that all the joins overlap , if you get me

nathsea

lockdown, you are right two rooms being sectioned off. I shall definitley do the two boards method, does it cause any probs for fitting dry-lining back boxes?

Nathan

lockdown81

lockdown, you are right two rooms being sectioned off. I shall definitley do the two boards method, does it cause any probs for fitting dry-lining back boxes?

Nathan

hi ya
erm no i think the lugs on drywall boxes are big enough , il messure one for you in the morning , think i got some in me stores , and il get back to you ,, if they not big enough then are you putting boxes on both sides of the wall? , if not swap the double tack side for the single tack side :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom