What size should I buy?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by smallblueplanet, Jun 9, 2009.

1. smallblueplanet

smallblueplanet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay I know its an odd question but I'm not sure what size tv to look for. At present I'm watching an old Panny 26" crt widescreen. The living room is smallish at 11ft x 12ft with the tv in one corner. I thought a 32" lcd would be okay but then thought well surely bigger is better and I should get a 37" lcd?

I mainly watch Sky sports and other satellite stuff. So does size matter? :thumbsup:

2. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    How far will you actually be sat from the TV. For SD, you would be ok with a 37" at =>8ft, any closer probably best to go 32"

3. smallblueplanet

smallblueplanet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oooh err, what's SD? :lease:

Probably between about 5ft and 8ft (ish) depending on which sofa I'm sat on. :) I liked the idea of 'cinema size' but would 37" be too big then?

4. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    A 37" set would be good for viewing from 8ft, but a 32" would be better for the lower end of your scale. If you're watching SD and most viewing is done largely under 6 or 7 feet away then get a 32" one

(SD is standard definition, ie, regular TV)

5. smallblueplanet

smallblueplanet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Monarch, I reckon (just got the steel tape out!) viewing distance is 7ft-9ft so I think I'll look at 37" too. I wondered about whether as we watch looks of sport - football/rugby - that it might be better to get a 37" panny plasma? I'm worried that the quality of the set won't handle/display sport well - is there anything in particular I should look for? (Might go Sky HD if the tv supports it)

6. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    Yea, a 37" set would be fine for that, you could probably argue yourself into a 42" set, especially if you did want to get sky HD, in which case you would have a few more options in the plasma market which I would say is better for watching sport and anything else SD. The only 37" plasma on the market at the moment is the Panasonic P37X10, it's available at Richer Sounds for a good price - PANASONIC TXP37X10 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.