what size SD card for my ixus II ?

jonnyv

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Im going to hong kong next week and i'm planning on taking loads of photos, i will be getting a SD card over there as im sure they are cheaper, but what size should i get ?
The 16mb one that comes with the camera holds 15 photos at the settings ive chosen.

As ive never been to hong kong im not sure about what to do,

i thought i could get a 256mb card and find a photo shop that could transfer photos to cd then wipe SD card and start again

or

Buy a 512mb card and fill that up and transfer photos to pc when i get home

or

buy 2x256 sd cards and when 1 is full use the other and transfer to pc when i get home.

any ideas ?

My best advise would be to get several smaller cards rather than just 1 large card. The reason for this is security of your pictures. If you have them all on 1 card and it gets damaged or lost then everything is gone. If you have some that have been left in the hotel you then only loose the couple you've just taken.
I personally use 4 128Mb compact flash cards. They are cheap and so if I do loose/damage it or when it eventually dies I still have others and can cheaply replace it.

Mark.

But you could just as well lose the camera and card, lose the card holder and all cards, have the full card corrupted and be left with just one card with one photo on it etc, etc.

So from a security of the images point of view, images on more cards are just as likely to be lost as those on one card. And if your best images are on a 512 or a 128 card and are lost, then they are still lost, gone.

If the images are going to be important, then be sure to have some back-up strategy for them. Upload to the web or email, burn to cd locally, take a back-up device, etc. Or even take a £3.99 disposable camera for emergency use.

If these will be just holiday snaps, then also consider lowering the resolution for the more 'general' images to allow more to be stored on the card. Shoot the snaps you think will make good prints at the higher setting, the normal scenic stuff can be viewed on the PC adequately at lower resolution.

I'd be inclined to go for one big card (512) from a decent manufacturer for convenience. Or 2 smaller (256) cards for piece of mind just in case one gets damaged.

But remember that you could probably pick up a cheap card over there if need be.

Have you also remembered a spare battery?

thanks for the advice guys, i was thinking of a 512mb card and try and find somewhere to put the snaps onto cd.
I havnt got a psare battery, may get one while im there, just in case.

thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom