1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What size Screen ???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dan76n, Aug 14, 2005.

1. dan76n

dan76n
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I am building a room 5.8 x 3.9 metres (19 x 12.8 feet). what would be the most suited size screen for this. Is there a formula to work out what size screen from the distance you have ???

2. spamboy

spamboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a lot of variables to this, however the way people normally look at this is to start from having a seating position of 1.5 screen widths.

The variables are:

Brightness, the bigger the screen, the brighter the pj needs to be - a higher gain screen will help with this if it's not bright enough. If you have any ambient light, you need the on screen brightness to be higher.

Screen door \ panel structure. As you get closer to the screen you can begin to make out the discrete picture elements, which can be distracting. LCD is generally worse for this than DLP.

Personal preference; Some people like to have most of their vision filled by the screen, some don't.

Projector placement \ throw. Depending on where you can put the pj that will limit the screen size options.

I've just sized up a screen for my hc and the way I did it after spending ages with projection throw calculators, looking at predicted foot lambert brightnesses, reading various people's opinion's etc was to set it up on a stool and zoom \ move it around until I got the biggest picture that still looked good. I reccomend that you do the same.

3. SimP

SimP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you do a google search on "viewing distance calculator" hopefully the top result will be from a webpage including the word homestead in it (I'd post the link here for you but I don't think I can yet). There's a lot of useful information about SMPTE and THX standards here. It needs 3 pieces of information: How far you sit from the screen (in feet), what shape your screen is and the screen size. If you're uncertain about distances the calculator "will tell you what the optimal seating distances are for the selected screen size." Very handy.

4. DLau

DLau
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. MississippiMan

MississippiMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Great post, Lunchmeat! ( :spam:..boy ) JKA!

Dan76n, Let's keep it really simple

First off, what PJ are you going to use / consider?

Take that info to this site:
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm

Enter in the PJ's make-model.....
    .........and you'll get your figures in no time.

Post up again if you want to make your screen. Smaller screens are very easy to accomplish in the "DIY" genre, if such is/can be your 'bag'.

6. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1