What size screen?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by jalba, Jul 13, 2015.

1. jalba

jalba
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What size screen for a living room 4m X 5m? The viewing distance from screen to eyeball is approx 3.5m. There is a 4m X 4m open plan kitchen off the lounge.

We really fancy a 65" but are frightened it may look a bit crass, so tend to think in terms of a 55". However, we bought a 46" approx 3 years ago and thought it was big then, but now it seems quite small.

We have looked at different viewing distances in JL but distance perspective is different in a showroom.

My wife has poorish eyesight and I thought that text may be better for her on the larger screen. Although on the other hand we don't want to feel that our eyeballs are being pulled out with such a large screen.

What advice please?

2. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,760
    I sit about six feet away from a 55 inch samsung and as soon as i bought it i regretted it and wish i had gone for a 65 inch, hope that helps.

3. BM08

BM08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    As above we sit around 6 feet from our 42" and it no longer looks big to me, I'd like a 50-55" next.

I always say to people whenever they buy a new TV, you will ALWAYS wish you'd gone slightly bigger! And it's true I think.

I reckon going from a 46" to a 65" it is going to seem absolutely huge and dominate your lounge, but what you could do is have the TV wall mounted if you haven't done so already. It won't look as big if it's on the wall compared to sitting on a table/stand, also it means the TV will be a little bit further away if it's on the wall. Just an idea.

If it comes down to it I'm sure the shop wouldn't mind you returning the TV if you weren't happy with the size.

4. jalba

jalba
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for both comments.

I am buying at the end of July, but still chicken to go to 65". I worry it will look massive and possibly pull on your eyes. My wife is not too keen on going to 65". She will accept up to 60" and I don't think she will budge, although surprisingly she was leading the charge for a larger TV. When the tennis is on she sits much closer. The problem is that there are not that many 60" TVs that fit my criteria so may have to compromise at 55" and I worry that I may regret opting for this size.

Don't want to wall mount as having varifocal lenses we prefer to view on the level or slightly downwards. The TV will stand on a low level media unit.

5. kayzee

kayzee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I sit about 7 1/2 feet away and just bought a 43" which seems fine to me :) but then again it was an upgrade from a 26" lol... I've always preferred a more moderate screen size! I reckon I could have gone a little bigger, but it's pushing what my TV stand can take anyway!

6. jalba

jalba
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My wife has dug in and will only consider a maximum screen size of 60". As I said the problem is that there are not that many 60" TVs that fit my criteria. An important criterion is that it should have built in Freesat and most of the few 60" don't. My reason for wanting Freesat is just in case developments are in advance of Freeview over the next few years. Am I right to think about this? What do you think?

We already have a Humax Pvr for recording the Freeview side of things. What do you think of purchasing a Humax HDR1010S or similar if needed for any future advancements with Freesat. This would expand the range of possible 60" TVs available and potentially at a cheaper price.

Is my logic flawed overall?

7. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Freesat has become less common in TVs recently and declined since introduced, I wouldn't have that as a key criteria. Buy a good separate box

Currys are selling a decent looking 60" Sony in their sale for £900 I think

8. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,760
  9. jalba

jalba
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replies.

Simon, that looks a possibility, but end of July soonest is our purchase date, when we move in. I also prefer to buy from JL or RS for the guarantee.

10. BM08

BM08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Yeah get it from RS or JL, we got our LG tv from RS, brilliant customer service and knowledgeable staff