What size screen for an IN76

A

alphafi

Hello,

I've decided on getting an Infocus IN76 I'm also almost decided on these Nuvu screens http://www.nuvuscreens.com/flash.html (portability, being able to take it down etc.)

Now I can't decide between getting the large or the extra large screen (77" and 88" diagonal respectively).

My measurements are the following.

The projector will be placed 2.8 - 2.9 metres from the screen.
I will be sitting aproximately the same length from the screen.

From the Infocus calculator I could use both screens.

What I am wondering is would the smaller screen be more "resistant" to ambient light??? I.e. because the pj will be projecting on a smaller area.

Also would there be a risk of doorscreen effect on the extra large screen?

Thank you!

magicman72

Have you had a demo of the IN76 from your nearest retailer?
The IN76 is a very bright pj, I use blackout blinds in my room during the day & even with ambientlight still noticeable during the day the IN76 is very watchable indeed.At night it is just awesome.
My screen in 60", so I cannot comment on door screen effect on larger screens. I would be surprised if there was a problem though.

Hope this helps.

A

andyturner28

Hi alphafi.

If you mean screen door effect where you see the pixel stucture of the picture, then there is no chance of you seeing this with the screen size you are proposing from your seating position. I have a 92" screen in my 13' long room and i cant see SDE at all. If i were you i would go with the 88" screen because with HD material the SDE is even less pronounced, but on the flipside low bit rate Sky channels look better the further back from the screen you are, so it really depends what you will mainly be viewing on your PJ. I mainly use mine for upscaled DVD's from my HTPC and Sky HD channels and watch everything else on a plasma screen in the living room.

As Sirees said the IN76 is a very bright PJ, with the picture still being very watchable with the lights on when it is dark. I will soon be getting a Hoya HMC ND2 filter to try and darken the picture in fact as it is too bright for my room with my screen size. As long as you don't have light shining streight onto your screen you'll be fine.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

A

alphafi

Hello everyone. Thank you very much for your comments so far. They've been very helpfull.

I'm new to projectors so been doing some reading, but this helps a lot.

A

alphafi

I've got another question that might seem a bit "naive"....

Would I have to center the projector vertically on the screen? I know you can place it above or below the screen but can you place it to the left or right of the screen, cause I intend to put it on a side table next to the couch.

A

andyturner28

No, you should try and get it as sentral as possible, otherwise one side of the screen will be narrower than the other. The screen will be wedge shaped from left to right, or vica versa depending on which side of the screen it will be possitioned. The IN76 dose not have lens shift or horizontal keystone adjustment like some other PJ's. I have this problem to a very small degree with my set up as the ceiling joist is off centre by about 2". I am going to have to screw a plank of wood in between the joist's to get it central.

Those Nuvo screens you are concidering are a brillient idea though. And if they supposedly never ripple then it is a cheaper alternative to a tab tentioned screen, which for the same size as the 88"er would cost double that. My screen is starting to ripple a bit and if they did a 92" one i wouldn't mind one myself. A fair bit more expensive than a conventional pull down screen though.

Andy.

A

alphafi

Wow thanks, didn't know that. This means that I have to plan for a wall mount as well.

Yeah the Nuvu screen look pretty cool. I'll post my experience with them when I get it.

A

AlienArchbishop

Hi,
It would be really cool if you can post your impressions on the nuvu screen. Im thinking of getting an extra large one but I would like more imput before taking the plunge. I've asked for some screen samples, to see how it holds up to the ambient light, but they don't seem to have any at the moment.

A

andyturner28

alphafi said:
Wow thanks, didn't know that. This means that I have to plan for a wall mount as well.

Yeah the Nuvu screen look pretty cool. I'll post my experience with them when I get it.
If you go for a wall mount make sure it is at such a height that the PJ is completely level so that you don't have to use any keystone correction, which harms picture quality.

Andy.

dmjohnson123

Novice Member
alphafi,

I would suggest buying your projector first, setting that up where its going to live and then projecting the image onto the wall/your curtains/a sheet or whatever to find the size of the screen which works for you in your room.

Its very difficult to judge beforehand what size screen will be perfect for your room and your setup and projecting over/around your furniture.

I know you want to rush out, spend your money and settle down to watch your favourite movie but for anyone setting up their 1st projector in their front room I would strongly recommend - projector 1st, screen 2nd after playing with the projector and image size/position.

ps. you will be blown away by your projector - even my wife has to admit its the best £1,000 I've ever spent (which wasn't on a holiday) :D

Good luck and enjoy :thumbsup:

A

andyturner28

I agree with dmjohnson123 that it would be advisable to get the PJ first. At least this will answer your question over which size screen to go for.
When i first got my old PJ i projected onto a sheet which i stapled to very a large sheet of MDF, and this gave a surprisingly good image which was more than enough to get an idea of the picture quality at different sizes.

I would DEFINATELY try and avoid having the PJ off centre from the screen though. Although i have this problem to a very minor degree, it is still driving me mad! I am just waiting till the weather gets a bit cooler so it is not so hot up in the loft before i rectifie it.

Andy.

Top Bottom