1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What size screen do I need?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by spiderv6, Feb 6, 2003.

1. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm very new to the world of projectors but I've decided I'm going to buy one. Probably a Sony HS10.

What I can't work out is how do I know what size screen to buy :rolleyes: .

I need a 16:9 screen (right?) but does it need to be an exact size based on my room dimensions, or, can the projector adjust the picture size to fit whatever screen I have?

Thanks in advance!

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi spiderv6, welcome to the forums.

The size of screen is a function primarily of the distance you intend to have between the projectior and the screen - referred to as "throw distance". If you go to projectorcentral.com and check the specs for the Sony HS10, you will find an icon which will bring you to a throw distance calculator. If you enter the throw distance, it will tell you the size of image you will get. There is normally a range of sizes shown, which are dependent on the amount of zoom used - minimum zoom would be recommended by most here, for the best picture quality.

You haven't indicated whether you intend to use this in your living room, or in a dedicated movie room - you need to give some consideration to the positioning of the projector, as well as the screen, to have a chance of them "fitting" with the room.

Good luck,

Sean G.

Edit: Yip, you'd need a 16:9 screen !

3. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Sean,

A 6.1m distance gives me a screen size of H 1.6m-2.0m and W 2.9m - 3.6m. Wow!!

But, I can change the projector zoom to adjust that slightly to exactly get the 'fit' I want - right?

Next question - what do people recommend when it comes to screens? The only name I know is 'Stewart' but they seem to have mixed reviews with what I've found so far.

Anyone have recommendations on where to purchase screens - they don't seem to be discussed here too much.

Thanks again.

(This stuff is contagious once you get started!!)

4. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did a bit of searching on screens and it seems I need a MASSIVE screen in comparison to what is normally available (e.g., liked the look of the Projecta cinema electrol but that only comes as big as 1.1m x 2.0m).

Have I misunderstood something? :confused:

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi again, spiderv6,

You might have a slight misunderstanding.......

the screen size you'd end up with from c. 18ft throw distance is huge by comparison to the norm here... a screen size of 9.5ft wide (2.9m) at minimum zoom - you wouldn't be able to make it any smaller. If your room is big enough to accomodate such a screen, with a viewing distance of 1.5 - 2 times screenwidth, (i.e, 15 - 20 ft) then your only issue is whether you can get a suitable screen. Will the screen be fixed, or will you be looking for a pull-down screen ?

Where does the 6.1m throw distance come from ? if you can shorten the throw distance you could get the screen size down to 8' wide (still plenty wide !) which might give you more scope for screen choice. Kramer is getting a new screen about this size, you should check out his HS10 post - I think he might have posted details there or in another post.

Happy hunting !

Sean G.