What size screen and viewing distances???

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Jazzy Jase, Aug 2, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Jazzy Jase

Jazzy Jase
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I move into a new house in October and I want to buy a bigger screen. I currently sit 8 foot from my JVC LT26DS6 and I find it too small, so it's being relegated into the bedroom.

I thought I wanted a 32 inch LCD and I have a shortlist of JVC LT32DX7, Pana TX32LXD60 and Samsung LE32R74.

However, having visited a few shops recently I am starting to think that 32 inch might still be too small. Depending on seating position, the vieiwing distances in my new place will be between 7.5 to 9.8 foot (225cm to 300cm)

What are the recommended viewing distances for 32 to 37 inch screens? (I think 40 inch would be too big). What distances are you, the owners of these TV's sitting at?

In the 37 inch range I think I'm limited to the Samsung LE37R74, Tosh 37WLT66 or Pana TH37PX60 (I'm not sure I want a plasma though).

Any help would be appreciated.

2. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
  3. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +556
    At 8ft it is probably on the limit of a 32" and bordering on a 37"...I'd go for the 37".

I'm at 9ft..maybe 10ft at a push and I have 42".

There are some decent 37" LCD's around, although I'd be tempted to look at the 40" Sony if you really wanted an LCD.

Having said that at 37" you can't beata panny plasma for piccie quality...but it depends on what your main use for it will....ie TV/DVD or PC/Console use.

4. wellibob

wellibob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    That calc thingy isnt too bad, at least i sit the right distance from the telly, nothink about what height i should view it at, or if there a fat granny in the way...lol

5. tomandjo2

tomandjo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The distance to screen size ratio will also depend on the quality of the material you are watching.
    i.e HD or DVD via component with prog scan you can sit quite close to the set

DVD via scart or digital TV you need to sit about 2 to 3 x width of screen away

Analogue TV about 3 to 4X width of screen

We have a 32DS6 and sit about 9 to 12ft away and are VERY happy.

Tom

6. NatD

NatD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Scrapbook - help please!

I was set on getting the Panny 32" LCD, but having seen it, am not sure I am convinced by the size.

I was set on getting an LCD, but the next step up would lead me to Plasma, and the 37" Plasma.

I would be using it mainly for TV (Football / Movies), DVD's with the Panny All in One system, and a PS2 (PS3 next year).

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nathan

7. Jazzy Jase

Jazzy Jase
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Unless I am reading the calculator wrong, at 8 foot from the screen I should be using a 52 inch screen!

For a 32 inch sceen it says I should sit a maximum of 4.2 foot from the TV for HD and 11.2 for standard TV

for the 37 inch 4.8 foot for HD and 12.9 foot standard TV.

So seeing as my viewing distance is somewhere in the middle of these values I'm still no closer to making a decision.

Main uses for the TV will be Xbox 360, DVD's (using the progressive out on the 360) and digital TV. I will probably get Sky HD and a PS3 over the next year. Hopefully the aerial signal will be strong enough that I never need to watch analogue TV.

8. RichardBoult

RichardBoult

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Me too at the 3.5m I sit away from the screen I need 100" TV!!