1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Size RPTV for My Room? - Pics Inside

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Stevey, Mar 25, 2004.

?
  1. 51" Toshiba RPTV

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. 57" Toshiba RPTV

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Stevey

Stevey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of getting a new tv, the current tv that I have is a 36" Sony CRT one. I have decided on a toshiba RPTV for my new one but I can't decide on what size to get. My viewing distance is about 8 - 9 feet sitting in a sofa. I have freeview and sky and also a pc right next to the tv (hence office chair) I play to use this tv roughly the following percentage wise:

80% Watching Sky Channels or Freeview Alternative for better quality
    20% Linking to my pc via S-Video; and watching films by using dvd-rom on pc. In future, I may buy a dvd-player.

I was thinking what would sky/freeview look like blown up this big, apparently according to some reviews its okish with a good scart cable. (Mental Note: Do not get Monster cables!)

Please give me your opinion if I should get the 51" model or the 57" model; will the 57" model be too big i.e. quality poor on sky/freeview because image blown up too much? - Compare BBC channels to Mtv etc.

Here is some pictures of how much room the tv has, remember I must be able to get past!

Attached Files:

2. Stevey

Stevey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is what I estimate the front tv faces to be like; am I roughly correct size wise?

Attached Files:

3. Stevey

Stevey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No one?

4. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i have a 12' by 13' room and have a 42" tosh at the moment.
    It looks perfect and gives a wonderful PQ.
    I decided to get a newer model and went for the 57".
    I also sit about 9 feet away from it.
    When it turned up, it looked a lot bigger than it did in the shop and i had trouble trying to place it somewhere, where it did not stick out to much............of course, haveing such a small room, i was fighting a losing battle.
    The PQ was good with DVD and some sky channels, but most sky channels were near enough unwatchable, with being so close.
    I sent it back the next day and have now got a 51" on its way to me, so will see how i get on with that.

I think you need a really big room.............atleast 30' long and about 20' wide to get the best out of the 57".
    i want something bigger than the 42 and hope that the 51 will be ok.............i was really looking for a 46" TV, but cannot seem to find one that gives as good a pic as the tosh, so am going to stick with them for the next couple of years ( although i said that when i got the 42" and a year later i'm replaceing it...........dam this HC hobby and i need a cure for the upgrade bug).

5. Stevey

Stevey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My room is big like 15' x 40' but thats other stuff there e.g. computer etc.
    I was thinking of getting a 51" then, but as we know this is a tweakers set. Some of the tweaks say to remove the front of the screen and stuff, is this safe? (Capacitors)

6. Stevey

Stevey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everyone voted 51" apart from me who voted 57" lol!
    Wheres the best place to get it from then?
    I heard that a 51WH38 is out soon? Any difference?