What Size for the room? 32 or 37"?

Tom Tom

I have been looking at the Hanspree 32" or 37" LCD as mentioned in other threads. But what size should I use?
In the pics is the front room it will be in.
The Philips is 29" but taking for surrond is 32" so the 32" would fit nicely in place.
However we are looking at moving in the future to bigger housing and I am thinking 37" to "future proof"
It will fit I would just need to pull the stand out a bit from the alcove.
No Kids, cats or Dogs to knock it off (just me)
So should I be sensible or have fun with the 37"???

Thanks

(ohh and p.s. excuse the mess its been a birthday recently)

Attachments

• 000_0053.jpg
    000_0053.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 000_0054.jpg
    000_0054.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 000_0055.jpg
    000_0055.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 143

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
Yeah - go for the 37". Like you say, future proofed for the house move and a much bigger toy to show off to your mates. I have the 32 inch tosh and regret, a little, not going for the 37 incher - more of a movie viewing experience imo.

Tom Tom

Thanks for the thoughts :thumbsup:

Giblets2

I too have a 32" and wish I'd gone for larger, especially when you watch widescreen movies and the bottom and top are cut off. I'm looking to go up to a 40-46 next time even though my viewing distance is only about 7-8ft!

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
I too have a 32" and wish I'd gone for larger, especially when you watch widescreen movies and the bottom and top are cut off. I'm looking to go up to a 40-46 next time even though my viewing distance is only about 7-8ft!

Spot on. I've really noticed since buying the Tosh HD-DVD player - I wish I had gone for the 37" as the PQ would have been superb and I would have a decent sized image to watch!

Stick-ba

Hi there,There's no such thing as a tv too large for any room,once in and settled the tv gets smaller with age.I would say go as big as budget will allow,so that leaves just the 37",have fun.

bjnsharp

I bought the Hannspree 37" for my bedroom and I was initially looking at the 32" version. I'm so glad I went for the 37". I went intoa highstreet store to look at the 2 sizes next to each other and the 37" looked alot bigger than the 32". More so than a 37" compared to a 42". So I thought for the money a 37" was the better size.

Loobster

Sorry but most of the above comments are complete rubbish.

Of course there is such a thing as a TV that's too big. If your room is small and viewing distance is short then a smaller TV makes more sense. I refuse to accept the ludicrous obsession on this forum with buying the biggest TV you can afford.

If you are coming from a 29" CRT then a 32" LCD will be fine, sure a 37" may also work but don't forget that the closer you are to your TV the lower the picture quality will be perceived to be. If you are viewing from less than 9 feet then 37" may be too big.

I went from a 28" widescreen CRT to 32" widescreen LCD and it's plenty big enough - and I view it from 11 feet away - and the picture quality is excellent.

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
When going from a 4:3 to a 16:9 set, it is generally accepted that you should go for a larger screen size as the change in ratio tends to make the same sized set in widescreen look smaller.

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
37" isn't that big at all. 50" and over you can start worrying about "too big", but not between 32" and 37". Besides hit 37" and you can get yourself a plasma and enjoy a decent contrast range and greyscale performance.

BTW I'm currently sitting 10ft from where I view material. I'm looking at a 50" plasma and a 7ft projection system. Eastenders can be a bit daunting on the projector, it's something shot for the small screen so lots of close-ups. But image quality, admittedly using dedicated video processing, is perfect as far as I'm concerned. 37" is peanuts LOL!!! 32" LCD might be plenty big enough from 28" CRT (approx 26" actual size), but 37" will actually feel like you've got yourself a significantly bigger telly :devil: In fact that fireplace is just begging to have a screen hung on it

Tom Tom

37" isn't that big at all. 50" and over you can start worrying about "too big", but not between 32" and 37". Besides hit 37" and you can get yourself a plasma and enjoy a decent contrast range and greyscale performance.

BTW I'm currently sitting 10ft from where I view material. I'm looking at a 50" plasma and a 7ft projection system. Eastenders can be a bit daunting on the projector, it's something shot for the small screen so lots of close-ups. But image quality, admittedly using dedicated video processing, is perfect as far as I'm concerned. 37" is peanuts LOL!!! 32" LCD might be plenty big enough from 28" CRT (approx 26" actual size), but 37" will actually feel like you've got yourself a significantly bigger telly :devil: In fact that fireplace is just begging to have a screen hung on it

While I would love the Plasma/Projector/all of the above. Budget is as budget does and its what I can afford. (in the next few months)

One day I will get one but I think I will have a better argument there once we move to a larger house.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom