What size for my viewing distance

photoLenz

Standard Member
Hello all :hiya:!

I'm new here and planning a home cinema setup. My viewing distance is going to be 3,5m from tv. I looked at some of the online calculators and wanted to hear user experiences.
I will be watching mostly SD content and also upscaled SD and HD content
I visited some A/V shops and Panasonic plasma tv's had the best SD quality and i really liked the colors.
My questions are as followed:

1. What size should the tv be for my viewing distance to fully benefit from HD tv?
2. As i have limited funds i can currently afford 46" PY80 or PY85 panel.....will this be to small for my viewing distance to make Full HD pointless?

One thing to consider:

I allways try to get maximum value vs price performance vs future proofed gear and i don't change my things every year. So this tv will serve me atleast 5 or probably more years(still using a 5 y old laptop as my main computer).

Thank you,

Lennart

PS! Sorry for any spelling or grammar errors! I'm not a native speaker of english.

s4_squalo

Standard Member
2. quite the contrary, if you are sitting a greater distance than 2m, the human eye can supposible not see a difference between full hd and hd, a point to consider when choosing your tv.

audiphile76

At 3.5 meters, you should get atleast a 50". Ofcourse there have been people watching their 26" CRT with a viewing distance of 4 meters, but with high definition content and high definition panels, best viewing experience requires bigger screens for bigger distances.

Otherwise if you somehow manage to come to 2.5 meters, you can get a 42" 1080p plasma.

xit2050

At 3.5 meters, you should get atleast a 50".

Otherwise if you somehow manage to come to 2.5 meters, you can get a 42" 1080p plasma.

Hear, hear! (abbreviation for "hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!")

:lesson:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom