• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What size cable for monitor audio apex?

mtenga

Distinguished Member
I'm currently using thick cables but connected by speaker pins since the wire was too thick to fit in the speaker posts. I'd prefer direct connection instead of the pins. I'd buy some van damme blue but don't know whether 2.5mm is too thick? Clearly 1.5mm (16awg) will fit.

So will the speakers take 2.5mm wire (14awg)?

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
2.5mm² is the most common size and should work with a vast majority of speakers out there. Most likely the speakers it won't work with are ultra-cheap low end speakers.

The Van Damme Studio Blue is very popular and pretty reasonably priced.

But Van Damme Blue is pretty thick because it is Double Insulated. Take a close look at photos of the wire. That's perfectly fine for front speakers, but it might be a bit thick to run to distant rear/side speakers. Nothing wrong with that, I'm just asking you to keep it in mind.

For rear or distant speaker, again depending on your specific situation, consider QED 79 Strand (2.5mm²) which is single insulated so not quite as bulky.

Again, no problem with running Van Damme Blue to rear speakers. I'm just asking you consider whether the size will be a problem for you.

Steve/bluewizard

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Thank you both for the input. I've owned VDB in the past and am familiar with its size and insulation. My concern is that my current wire is 2.8mm2 and that most certainly does not fit hence the pins. I've dropped Monitor Audio a mail and hopefully will get a response.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Well, the next consideration is the length of the wires. If the runs are short, say 6ft to 10ft, then 1.5mm² or AWG 14ga (2.08mm²) are fine.

Where did you get 2.8mm² wire, that is an odd size? Or is that a typo?

Here is a photo of the back of the Monitor Audio Apex, because they are very small speakers, they don't exactly have a standard speaker wire connector.

http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/04e5bf/1faa/13846-a10s.jpg

I can't determine from the Photos, what the connection options and limitations are. You might consider Spade terminals for the speaker wires -

[ame=http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/350777123903?_lwgsi=y&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=64]Monster Cable QL GAS H MKII QuickLock Angled Terminal Connector Spade Terminal on eBay![/ame]

Monster QuickLock MKII Gold Angled Spade Connectors For Easy Self Crimping Terminations - 2 pr - OneBigDot.com- Shop in the US

MONSTER Quicklock MKII Gold Angled Spade Connectors Deals | Pcworld

These are solderless. I use a pair and the work very well.

There is one other type of Monster Terminal that uses a short section of braided Gold Wire rather than a pin, that might also be an option. The Monster brand Terminals will easily take 14ga wire which is what I'm using.

Monster QuickLock MKII Gold Flex Pin Connectors For Easy Self Crimping Terminations - 2 pr - OneBigDot.com- Shop in the US

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Steve/bluewizard

mtenga

Distinguished Member

mtenga

Distinguished Member
The photos show the same fittings as on the radius HD speakers. VDC blue 2.5mm will be absolutely fine.

John.

OK thanks. The 2.8 simply would not fit and they are not that much bigger. I ended up just sort of blocking up the entrance to the connector until I got the pins.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
The other option would be to use banana plugs.

John.

Yes i just got a mail back from Monitor Audio. They suggested taking off the red and black bungs and using banana plugs. They also suggested that the through hole should be able to accept 4mm which surprises me since my cable would not fit. Perhaps my cable is actually thicker than stated on the Amazon page.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Your link to amazon does say 4.3mm cable. Maybe that's why it is thicker!

John.

It also says internal area of copper 2.8! The 4.3 is with the insulation.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
That makes this wire nearly 12ga which is pretty heavy.

Again, from the photo it is hard to determine the limitations of the connectors on the speakers, but 2.5mm² is the most common speaker wired used. I can't imagine it won't work.

You could perhaps go to the hardware store and buy 1 foot of common electrical cord in 2.5mm² size and test it to see if it fits.

Just a thought.

Steve/bluewizard

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Well based on this thread and the advise from monitor audio I ordered some 2.5mm van damme from mark grant. Not the blue but another type. I cant imagine it wont work either. Hopefully all will be good tomorrow.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Just to wrap this up for anyone interested the 2.5mm cable fitted easily as expected. The other cable I was using was mis-labelled and must have been way thicker than 2.8.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom