1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What signal should I feed a Panasonic TH-42PHD6BX

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jrpavel, Mar 13, 2004.

1. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the standard resolution TH-42PHD6BX.

The Denon DVD-A11 and Netgem Freeview box feed a Yamaha DSP-Z9.

So the DVD player, the receiver and the screen are all capable of converting signals. I would like to minimise the number of conversions / processing. What is the best way of achieving this, bearing in mind also that the Z9 only has one processor setting (and not one per input)?

A further wrinke: the Yamaha claims that the Netgem is generating 576i signals, although I have the Netgem set to generate YPbPr Component (through a Scart -> component cable).

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    jrpavel

Display - the TH-42PHD6BX (1024x768P) is generally thought of as an HD Display; the TH-42PWD6BX (852x480P) is the SD Display.

Digibox - Your NetGem is outputting Interlaced PAL as YPbPr; I don't believe it can output Progressive PAL. So 576i sounds about right.

I'd connect the Interlaced YUV out to your AV Amp and let the AV Amps on-board Faroudja DCDi Deinterlacer convert this to 576P and then on into the Plasma via the YUV out on the AV Amp.

DVD - your DVD player also has a high quality Faroudja DCDi on-board Deinterlacer coupled with YUV Analogue Component video out and DVI Digital Component video out.

You have three choices for connectivity from DVD to your Display:

01. YUV direct to the Display
    02. YUV via your AV Amp
    03. DVI direct to the Display

Other than simplifying your cable routing there is no advantage as far as picture quality goes in routing the YUV signal via your AV Amp - in fact it may degrade the signal slightly; though the Z9 is a high quality switcher and you'll not see much if any signal degradation.

Going YUV direct to the Plasma (or via the AV Amp) will work for both Progressive PAL (576P) and NTSC (720P).

Going DVI direct to the Plasma will currently only work with your NTSC signals (720P and 1080i) - the optional DVI card for the Panasonic Display only accepts 575P PAL signals (this may soon be remedied by either Panasonic or Denon!!!).

The DVI signal has the potential to outperform the YUV signal - its just a pity about the PAL issue for now.

Therefore your probably looking at hooking the NetGem to the Z9 as Interlaced YUV (PAL).

The DVD player to the Z9 as Progressive YUV (PAL and NTSC).

The DVD player to the Display as DVI (NTSC only).

The Z9 to the Display as Progressive YUV (PAL and NTSC).

Hope that all makes sense.

Joe

PS I spoke to someone today who had the Z9 + DVD-A11 + SIM2 HT300 Link - that's THREE Faroudja DCDi processor's in one system :laugh:

3. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks. It is indeed the standard resolution plasma version that I have, so presumably there is no advantage in sending it 720 or 1080 signals.

The DVI board seems to be either unavailable (unlisted) or extortionate (£200-250).

The Netgem must be the only freeview box to do component out, rather then progressive.

The picture improved significantly when I got the Z9 to output progressive rather than interlaced, which suggests that the Panasonic's deinterlacer is not quite as good as the Z9's I suppose, unless something else is going on.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    jrpavle

Panasonic TY-42TM6YB DVI board (inc a 3m DVI cable) In Stock and sub £130.00.

NetGem - this is one of the few boxes that offer YUV; most only offer Composite, S-Video or RGB (all Interlaced).

Faroudja DCDi - yes I'd expect the progressive processor in the AV Amp to outperform the Digital Cinema Reality mode in the Display; you did go into the 'Signal' menu of the Display and set Cinema Reality to On when your were feeding the Display Interlaced signals?

720P - the TH-42PWD6BX usually looks pretty good when fed 720P.

Best regards

Joe

5. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I'l come back to you for the board when the PAL/NTSC limitations that you describe above are addressed.

Have you an explanation for why 720p should look good when the screen resolution is only 480? If I have understood the manual, 720p will not allow me to use the Just or Zoom aspect ratios on the plasma.

Yes, I think that I had Cinema Reality on. Which brings me to a further unexplored dimension to all this, which is the DVD-A11's range of decoding options (Auto1, 2 and Video 1, 2 and 3). They seem indistinguishable to me, but perhaps I don't know what I should be looking for and should leave it that way :).

Another thing that is nagging at me is the calibration of the screen: in the THX setup I can see 4x2 white patches irrespective of the contrast setting. At 0IRE I cannot see all the (sub?)black patches. At 7.5IRE I can, but DVDs seem to come out a bit washed out, without proper blacks.

6. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    What settings have you got for the picture? I have mine at

Contrast: +10
    Brightness:0
    Colour: 0
    Sharpness: +2

I find this to be the best setting for movies but I am using RGB scart connection.

PS Anyone know if I should put Cinema Reality on, I have it connected to a Sony RDR-GX3. Does the setting really help? Cheers

7. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use either Auto (with the Normal settings, for TV). A bit dull, but OK.

Or I can use either the default (normal) setting or, calibrated with THX, the

Contrast: +30
    Brightness:+10
    Colour: 0
    Sharpness: +4

for movies. Cannot claim that this is optimal.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    jrpavel

Video Modes - first off why would you ever want to use Just or Zoom; they are best avoided :)

720P - until someone produces a display that allows you to actually bypass the Displays internal video processing your video signal (whatever signal type) is going to pass through the internal electronics.

Trial and error has shown that the on-board video processing actually looks better with a higher resolution signal downscaled by the Display than it does with a signal downscaled in the source device and even a native rate signal at times!

Calibration - if you want to really see your Display optimised you need to have it professionally calibrated by an ISF accredited Technician (Magician) using electronics rather than your eye and 'best judgement'; we now offer their service to all of our customers.

DVD-A11 - the few units we've supplied have all been in and out the door so quickly I've not had a chance to have a long play with one; someone in the A11 owners club will need to chip in here (where's Gandley?).

IRE Levels - are you making the adjustment in the DVD or the Display?

Dean

Its fairly simple to switch 'Cinema Reality' on and off - it cant do any harm so play a few movie clips with a bit of movement in and see if you prefer it on or off.

Best regards

Joe