What should you expect from a multi-region modification?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bargepole, Apr 5, 2005.

1. bargepole

bargepole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just bought a yamaha s550 and opted for the multi-region modification for an extra £10.

So the machine arrived and I expected it to be multi-region out of the box.
    But no, there was a sheet of A4 paper with the 5 steps needed to carry out this mod. using the remote. There was also a caution warning on the A4 sheet advising

"follow these instructions carefully as misuse of this procedure could result in a void of the warranty and possible damage" :eek:

Now I know it's only a tenner but i can't feeling ripped off. Do the company who sold me the player just trouser the £10 or do they pass it on to someone else? Have they had to pay for this info?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,403
    I'm sorry to say, but I think you were ripped off.

I just had a look and found a multi region hack for your player Here that would have cost you nothing had you asked on the forum :rolleyes:

Mark.

3. bargepole

bargepole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well i did search the forum and a few other sites but found nothing (obviosly didn't search very well).

What I wanted to know is if you buy a player and opt for multi-region upgrade would you normally just get written instructions and be expected to do it yourself?
    I mean what have they done for their £10?

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    How was it worded? If it was sold to you as a "Multi region modification" you might have some legal standing.

5. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    It varies from one manufacturer to another, some players are multi-region out of the box, some need a firmware update (may cost depending on the dealer), some need chipping and some (like yours) require a simple hack using the remote.

Frankly I think you were ripped off, the hacks, and in many cases updated firmware are available here on the forums, and many other places on the internet. Don't feel too bad though, as you won't be the first or last to get caught out this way.

Might be worth a chat with Trading Standards though, as it does sound dodgy, although whether you would have any comeback I'm not sure.

Sorry. :(

6. bargepole

bargepole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well it's sold on their site as a multi-region upgrade, and there's no way you can expand that info,

that's what you put in your basket - multi-region upgrade, -that's all the info you get on it.

So I suppose in theory it's been badly descibed, what it should have said was:-

instructions for multi-region upgrade.

That's a rather large error to make. Any barreck room lawyers out there.

Hmm trades description act :) I think I may get my money back :D

I'll let U know.

7. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    when i bought a harman kardon dvd 22 from sevenoaks hifi they gave me the details on how to make it multi region but would not do the changes for me - they say that to do so would be illegal as multi region players are not allowed to be sold in this country although some retailers ignore this :confused:

they get over the ruling by saying that the info is supplied should the owner ever move abroad to another dvd region :D

anybody have any more info on this matter???

8. cR4cKF0x 5TevE

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +465
    As far as I know, manufacturers are not permitted to release multi-region machines, though retailers can 'remove any region restrictions' once the machine has been sold.

With regard to the modification itself, I've seen various ways of the modification being embodied. I modified my Marantz DV4300 myself with the handset hack supplied (free) by my local Audio Excellence store, prior to that I bought a Philips DVD player that was supposedly 'multi-region' but it would only play region 1 and 2 disks: that went straight back to the store (not Audio Excellence, I hasten to add) under threat of legal action for misrepresentation (fradulent) and I also threatened to get the Trading Standards guys involved as well. They gave me a full refund and a decent (QED) digital coaxial cable to keep me sweet; though needless to say I haven't darkened their door since.

My view would be, write them a letter (riniging is pointless) stating that you feel that you have been misled and specifically purchased something on the basis of its description, though that description has subsequently turned out to be misleading, you reasonably inferred that the machine would arrive with you multi-region out of the box, but it hasn't; at the minimum ask for your tenner back, and also ask a) what action they will take to correct their misleading website/documentation b) what action they will take to encourage you to return to their store in the future.

BTW, I work in a semi-legal role for an Aerospace and Defence company so I 'enjoy' this sort of thing for a living!

Good luck, for the sake of a few minutes writing a letter and the cost of a stamp, its always worth a go, at least you can get it off your chest.

9. bargepole

bargepole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A phone call has sorted it and the £10 will be refunded.

They are going to review their website wording for upgrades perhaps explaining exactly what you will be getting for your money.