What should the Prime Minister do first?

What should the Prime Minister do first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why do people keep asking this question? - it's been answered over and over again.

As soon as the EU come back with a date for the extension, I suspect a GE will be on the cards.

Until that point, nobody trusted (for good reason) Boris not to just let us slip out with No Deal.

But the EU have already said that they will allow a delay for a GE - so all it needs is for Labour to agree to the 12th December.

I thought the EU had confirmed an extension but not the length of it? Apols if I have missed something

Edit.... I think I understand now, EU are waiting for confirmation of an election before deciding the length, labour won't endorse an election until extension is granted, what a mess....

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the EU had confirmed an extension but not the length of it? Apols if I have missed something

Edit.... I think I understand now, EU are waiting for confirmation of an election before deciding the length, labour won't endorse an election until extension is granted, what a mess....

I'm sure the EU will expect Johnson to bring back his WA if Corbyn doesn't go for the election. Shorter extension (perhaps in line with France's wishes) for the WA, longer extension for an election.

I imagine Corbyn - perhaps even everyone's friend Bercow :laugh: - will be contacting the EU to confirm the situation for themselves regarding an election.

It's absolutely impractical to all to have the leave date in the middle of an election campaign. With Parliament dissolved.

I'm sure the EU will expect Johnson to bring back his WA if Corbyn doesn't go for the election. Shorter extension (perhaps in line with France's wishes) for the WA, longer extension for an election.

I imagine Corbyn - perhaps even everyone's friend Bercow :laugh: - will be contacting the EU to confirm the situation for themselves regarding an election.

It's absolutely impractical to all to have the leave date in the middle of an election campaign. With Parliament dissolved.

A flextension to the end of jan makes the most sense imo, allows early departure if deal ratified with the security of a bonafide end date to cover an election, assuming election held early Dec.

A flextension to the end of jan makes the most sense imo, allows early departure if deal ratified with the security of a bonafide end date to cover an election, assuming election held early Dec.

Yes - don’t see any issue with this. Of course, it is highly unlikely this deal will get through parliament in its current form with or without an election.

What Boris needs to do here is just give Labour exactly what they want to get them to agree to a GE. Whatever it is, just say yes.

That would be a combination of a people's vote and the removal of the transition peroid not being extendable at the end of 2020. Which would anger the ERG quite a bit, as some of them see it as ensuring a No Deal Brexit.

Then have the GE, Labour do terribly, Tories get a decent majority and he can then get his deal agreed by Parliament.

The last time an election was held in December (1923 I think), it resulted in a hung parliament.

He needs to call Corbyn's bluff. I bet that if BoJo confirmed no deal off the table, Corbyn would find some other excuse to not have a GE.

This is all about positioning an election that suits Corbyn or Boris better. There's no bluffing going on, it's political engineering. If Corbyn can fight an election on Domestic issues then he'll probably do better than expected. Boris needs it to be about Brexit.

Resign?

It looks like he has broken his promise? By the 31st, “Do or die”

I think any MP of sound mind should block everything he proposes he isn’t someone who can be trusted.

But the EU have already said that they will allow a delay for a GE - so all it needs is for Labour to agree to the 12th December.

The EU will most likely give an extension and Labour will be in a better position to win a GE if Boris achieves nothing over the next 12 months.

it’s all about timing. You never know, in 12 months Corbyn might retire!

This is all about positioning an election that suits Corbyn or Boris better. There's no bluffing going on, it's political engineering. If Corbyn can fight an election on Domestic issues then he'll probably do better than expected. Boris needs it to be about Brexit.

Corbyn has no chance if winning a GE. The sooner everyone in Labour realises that the sooner we can get a decent leader and bring the Labour Party back to the forefront.

They are so far behind in the polls, it is laughable that anyone thinks Labour can do anything.

Corbyn has no chance if winning a GE. The sooner everyone in Labour realises that the sooner we can get a decent leader and bring the Labour Party back to the forefront.

They are so far behind in the polls, it is laughable that anyone thinks Labour can do anything.

I agree with the first part of your post, not at all with the second part.

Many Labour voters will still just vote Labour because they're Labour. Regardless of Corbyn. I still see Labour showing second in most polls, therefore they'd still be the main opposition. Not sure your assertion of them not being able to do anything is a little off the mark.

Politics in this country still looks set to be dominated by the main two parties going forward. Regardless of Brexit and who the leaders are.

There simply isn't anything of note amongst the rest to challenge them.

Politics in this country still looks set to be dominated by the main two parties going forward. Regardless of Brexit and who the leaders are.
I broadly agree although do think we are going to see more fragmentation of the two party votes in the 2019/20 election than we did in 2017. The big difference now is the resurgent Lib Dems and the rise of the Brexit Party.

I see where Greg is coming from with his comment reference Labour being so far behind in the polls, but I think there are just so many unknowns at the moment:
- How much will the Lib Dems eat into the Conservative vote? How much will they eat into the Labour vote?
- How much damage will the Brexit Party do to the main two parties?
- How much does Brexit matter to those Labour consitutiencies who voted so overwhelmingly for Brexit?
- What potential coalitions might be able to form after the election?
- Where is the current 'Boris bounce' concentrated?

With all that, it is difficult to see what the outcome of any General Election might be.

These bunch of idiots in parliament have split the country. We were told if you vote to leave, we will leave the single market and customs union there was never any mention of we must have a deal before leaving . The likes of Soubury , Starmer Chuka umunna ect all said if we vote to leave then that's what we must do. Now it's a different tale they have gone back on what they said and want us to stay in the EU. We are now been bullied by Brussels. When has this nation ever been bullied by anyone and then come unstuck never. We call ourselves a democratic country wow haha . We stick our nose's into every other countrys business such as Venezuela when they vote on there new president and the old president wont leave office and we carn't sort our own country. The bunch of muppets want another vote let the people decide they say after getting paid a fortune to do a job . I say we have voted remain lost get over it . Bol☆☆☆☆s to brussels

I agree with the first part of your post, not at all with the second part.

Many Labour voters will still just vote Labour because they're Labour. Regardless of Corbyn. I still see Labour showing second in most polls, therefore they'd still be the main opposition. Not sure your assertion of them not being able to do anything is a little off the mark.

There simply isn't anything of note amongst the rest to challenge them.
I broadly agree although do think we are going to see more fragmentation of the two party votes in the 2019/20 election than we did in 2017. The big difference now is the resurgent Lib Dems and the rise of the Brexit Party.

I see where Greg is coming from with his comment reference Labour being so far behind in the polls, but I think there are just so many unknowns at the moment:
- How much will the Lib Dems eat into the Conservative vote? How much will they eat into the Labour vote?
- How much damage will the Brexit Party do to the main two parties?
- How much does Brexit matter to those Labour consitutiencies who voted so overwhelmingly for Brexit?
- What potential coalitions might be able to form after the election?
- Where is the current 'Boris bounce' concentrated?

With all that, it is difficult to see what the outcome of any General Election might be.

I can see your points, but disagree with richp007 that may Labour voters will still vote Labour regardless. The polls are showing that to be incorrect.
Our family are Labour voters to the core but even we can’t vote Labour at the moment. My sister especially would have voted for a donkey if it was standing for Labour but even she has turned on them.

There are a lot of unknowns, but just look at how poorly the Tories have handled Brexit (and many other things over the last 3 years). A competent Labour Party and leader should have propelled Labour way ahead in the polls. But they are as far away from the Tories as they have been for a long time.

I can see your points, but disagree with richp007 that may Labour voters will still vote Labour regardless. The polls are showing that to be incorrect.
Our family are Labour voters to the core but even we can’t vote Labour at the moment. My sister especially would have voted for a donkey if it was standing for Labour but even she has turned on them.

There are a lot of unknowns, but just look at how poorly the Tories have handled Brexit (and many other things over the last 3 years). A competent Labour Party and leader should have propelled Labour way ahead in the polls. But they are as far away from the Tories as they have been for a long time.
I'm not a Labour voter, unlikely to become one.

Do you think that would change if Corbyn retires, given Momentums domination at grass roots level? Wouldn't they just elect another extreme left candidate?

I'm not a Labour voter, unlikely to become one.

Do you think that would change if Corbyn retires, given Momentums domination at grass roots level? Wouldn't they just elect another extreme left candidate?

Momentum are the one of the main reasons Labour are where they are. They seem almost gleefully ignorant as to how they are destroying a Labour Party that people would want to vote for and turning it into a fringe party that is likely to get beaten by the LibDem’s of all people in a GE if it were held soon.

Time will tell. I don't disagree that some core Labour voters will abandon them, but I guess we'll have to differ on how many. Come election day, I don't think it will be as many as people anticipate.

The only hope I see for Labour going forward to another election is with Corbyn out and Starmer in.

Unless someone else emerges from the shadows.

Seems to be a lot of doubt amongst Conservative MPs and others on the wisdom of going for an election before Christmas. Weeks of party election broadcasts when people are looking forward to a bit of Black Friday shopping and getting in training for switching off/zoning out for christmas revelry may not go down to well with voters..

Conservative MPs are privately concerned that Boris Johnson’s call for a general election is a gamble that could easily backfire.

Several Scottish Tory MPs have also voiced fears about calling for a winter vote before Brexit has been delivered. One Scottish party source said: “This would not wash with our voters. I hope my colleagues are right when they say that we won’t get an election. We go for a vote in the spring, when a deal has been done.”

Some senior Tories are concerned that Johnson will struggle to portray an election as a fight for Brexit, given that the withdrawal agreement bill was passed by MPs this week at its second reading.
Wary Tories say Johnson’s election gamble could be seen as a stunt

ConservativeHome is very cautious about making a dash for the line now, especially on the basis of a claim about the Bill that doesn’t necessarily stand up. To win, the Party probably has to win a mass of northern and Midlands seats to make up for losses in London and the south. Is it really likely that the Tory campaign can, say, decapitate Tom Watson in West Bromwich, as the Party aims to do, without Brexit having been delivered?

To our mind, Nigel Farage complaining that the Conservatives have yet again failed to achieve Brexit sounds more persuasive than him complaining that it has achieved a version he doesn’t like. And the Brexit Party factor will matter in a campaign: after all, its rise coincided with the fall of Theresa May.

The case for and against seeking a general election this year | Conservative Home

Disregard Scottish Tories. They are is a pickle because every single seat in Scotland voted remain. Labour are dead here, Lib dems stumble along and will get the usual handful but the tories could be wiped out. Again.

The only hope I see for Labour going forward to another election is with Corbyn out and Starmer in.

Unless someone else emerges from the shadows.

Definitely agree there. Corbyn needs to go for Labour to have any chance at all.

The Prime Minister has placed the Brexit process "in limbo" whilst he awaits the decision on a Brexit extension. In the meantime, there are rumours abound that his cabinet and advisers are at loggerheads about whether to push for an early General Election or to progress the Withdrawal Agreement through Parliament. Which do you think he should do first?

I suggest he hires a digger and gets on with preparing his ditch.

If it's another hung parliament (which it might well be) then nobody wins, as no single party will have gone over the 326 winning post. What matters most in a hung parliament is which party wins more seats than the others and can then carve out, either a coalition or confidence and supply deal with the other parties to form a government.

I've not closed off the possibility that Johnson can squeak past the 326 seat winning post.

They were much further back in the polls prior to the 2017 election (had May crushing Labour for a generation or more), Corbyn is better on the campaign trail than he is at the dispatch box. Not saying he would win the election.

If it's a hung parliament then the big winners will probably be the SNP, Liberal Democrats and the Brexit Party (who might win a seat or three).

They were much further back in the polls prior to the 2017 election (had May crushing Labour for a generation or more), Corbyn is better on the campaign trail than he is at the dispatch box. Not saying he would win the election.

People have forgotten as well how carefully stage managed Johnson needs to be.

The leadership contest was practically a done deal, yet he was still being babysat incase he put a foot wrong.

5 weeks on the campaign trail, that's gonna be some serious stress for his team :laugh:

Also if some of the rumours this weekend are to be believed, Labour might not be objecting to an election next week because Corbyn says so. But so they can buy as much time as possible to oust him.

That would be the smartest play they've made in 3 years. And would see an immediate poll boost.

Can't see it happening though. He needs to lose an election I think before there'll be any serious movement to start getting shut of him.

If it's another hung parliament (which it might well be) then nobody wins, as no single party will have gone over the 326 winning post.

35% is enough to win. Current polling.

1572143926205.png

And that's assuming we think polling is correct.

35% is enough to win. Current polling.
That very much depends where the 35% is located. In 2017 Theresa May secured over 42% of the vote but failed to secure a Conservative majority.

Possible reason for Johnson wanting a GE before Christmas. Afterwards the flu season would be in full flow and a bad one would expose weaknesses in the NHS.

The thing most worrying to ministers is a repeat of the winter of 2017-18 when a bad flu season in Australia was followed by a killer one in Britain, which saw deaths hit a 42-year peak after the flu jab failed to work in the majority of cases.

Because a winter crisis in the NHS would be menacing to the Tories’ electoral prospects it would be conversely advantageous for Labour. They would be armed with ammunition for their argument that the Conservatives have run down key public services. Labour people also think they would be able to move the national conversation off Brexit and on to a topic where the party is much more comfortable. The salience of the NHS as an issue with the voters typically rockets after Christmas, whether or not there is a flu epidemic.
Turkeys won’t vote for Christmas when the polls are telling them they’ll be stuffed | Andrew Rawnsley

Which time line has she been stuck in, these areas are doing poorly because they haven't embraced change. Brass bands and banners. Self flagellation party. :rotfl:
How can anyone vote for that self defeating ideology. I'm working class and have zero in common with that nonsense. Unite with us and our misery.

No thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom