What should my speakers be set at

Radiohead

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello all

My Set-up as of today

Yamaha DSP-A5
B&W DM601 S3's as fronts
Tannoy mXC as centre (shortly to be replaced by B&W LCR60 S3)
No sub

Used for both music and AV

I currently have the fronts and centre set to 'large', with the SW output set to 'main'.

Is this right? I'm aware that I could do with a sub, but a compromise with Mrs Radiohead means this is unlikely to happen. I don't listen at very high volumes.

My conern is that I could damage the fronts as they are set.

Help!

:confused:

Fronts set to large are correct but when I had a Tannoy MC centre I set it to small and diverted any bass to the main pair.

Try out the centre on large and small and see what suits you best.

I don't understand the SW output set to main as on my Sony you set "No subwoofer" but if you mean that you have diverted low frequency effects to the main pair, that is correct.

I hope that Mrs R will come round to your way of thinking over the sub as it is the making of any system.

Originally posted by Ian J
Fronts set to large are correct but when I had a Tannoy MC centre I set it to small and diverted any bass to the main pair.

Try out the centre on large and small and see what suits you best

Thanks for responding Ian.

I tried this before and it made dialogue sound thin with the centre on 'small'. It seems happy set to large.

I don't understand the SW output set to main as on my Sony you set "No subwoofer" but if you mean that you have diverted low frequency effects to the main pair, that is correct.

That is what I mean - I assume that I don't run the risk of damaging them by doing this? On the Yamaha SW output can be sent to 'both', 'main' or 'SW only'. It's as 'main' at the moment.

I hope that Mrs R will come round to your way of thinking over the sub as it is the making of any system.

I'm working on it!

;)

It should be safe with 'MAIN' and this way you will not loose the LFE when watching DVD.

BOTH means bass and LFE will be send to the subwoofer output and mains while SW will send the LFE to the sub only, both logically require an active subwoofer.

So best leave it as it is.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom