What should light up when watching Sky HD with DD 5.1 sound?

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. :)

When watching a Sky HD channel that shows DD as the audio, what symbols should illuminate on the front of my 606 please?

If I watch a footy match (for example) on Sky Sports HD with DD or BBC HD with DD audio, all that comes up is (something like) "All CH Stereo" (I'll check the exact words in a couple of minutes), so I want to know that I am receiving the best quality audio output that I can.

Ta. :thumbsup:

How have you connected the Sky HD box to your amp? I only ask because the box will only output 5.1 from the optical, not the HDMI.

Ok, but on which input (presumably CBL/Sat) have you told the 606 to use for audio?

If you've left it to HDMI then you wont get surround via HDMI, you'll need to assign the optical

Once this is done if you are watching HD football or a movie in DD, the receiver should display 'Dolby Digital'.

(I have a 905 but assume the 606 isn't far off that..)

I have just got sky hd and have hdmi and optical going from sky box to onkyo 606, and hdmi out from amp to tv.

I have set the inputs for the box, but even if I change the audio input on the onkyo to an input that has nothing plugged into it for the sky box, i still get audio? Im guessing its getting it from the hdmi. I have set the sky box to output DD on optical, but how do I test that its working? I dont have sky movies, only sky sports. I was watching the football earlier, and I didnt have 5.1

Thanks

Not sure how much help this is (as I have a 706) but I had to press a button located physically on the front of the amp called 'Digital Input' to toggle between whether it was picking up HDMI or Optical audio (this was in addition to changing it in the assignments menu). And then instead of 'All Ch Stereo' coming up whenever there was a 5.1 DD broadcast it would simply say Dolby Digital on the front (and, of course, you'd notice the difference!).

Not sure how much help this is (as I have a 706) but I had to press a button located physically on the front of the amp called 'Digital Input' to toggle between whether it was picking up HDMI or Optical audio (this was in addition to changing it in the assignments menu). And then instead of 'All Ch Stereo' coming up whenever there was a 5.1 DD broadcast it would simply say Dolby Digital on the front (and, of course, you'd notice the difference!).

Nice one, thanks. :thumbsup:

Surely the amp can/shoul dod this automatically? :confused:

Ok, but on which input (presumably CBL/Sat) have you told the 606 to use for audio?

It is CBL/SAT, yes.

If you've left it to HDMI then you wont get surround via HDMI, you'll need to assign the optical

Is that a fairly straightforwad thing to change? :oops:

Once this is done if you are watching HD football or a movie in DD, the receiver should display 'Dolby Digital'.

(I have a 905 but assume the 606 isn't far off that..)

Excellent, thanks. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom